GQ patrol owners- rear tower cracks

Submitted: Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:12
ThreadID: 6040 Views:1967 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Most GQ owners are aware of the cracks that occur in the inner guard under the main battery.

However what seems to be reasonably common as well (not as much as the former) is that the top spring towers on the rear can collapse if the vehicle is used hard. By hard I mean loaded and on roads like the Cape etc. It's not that easy to pick up so take a good look. The tower tends to split on the rear side- look up from the shockie side towards the top edge of the tower. Better still run your hand around the whole tower. The split starts from a weak point just after the reinforced section- where a piece of flat is welded on it's edge. Turns out that it can be common in vehicles worked hard and with after market springs due to bigger wire dia hence higher loads. Even if it's a hair line crack get it fixed, mine failed totally, crushing the brake and fuel lines. The fix can be quite expensive for a few inches of weld but while their at it make sure they reinforce it at both ends.

Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:20

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:20
Another one is the spring mounts, they also die in the bottom, I have some photos at home of some really stuffed ones.

The towers I havent heard of, but worth knowing.
AnswerID: 25293

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 14:37

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 14:37
Hi Truckster
Back from the Kimberleys great trip and great place to go
From Nissan the main problems come if the springs are too large so that if they compress fully the bump stop does not come in before the spring tower plus spring plus spring base try to become one then either the top or bottom has to give that is when most have failures.
We went for polyairs rather than heavy springs and they worked great on the trip
Ray
planning the next tripwanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
FollowupID: 17122

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:48

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:48
Glad to see ya home and safe bloke.

Any trip photos, adn how many klms you have on the Ute now??
FollowupID: 17135

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:43

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:43
Hi Truckster
The Ute now 42000klms
The trip up to the outback challenge (a great event, well worth the trip to watch) plus the run up to the Kimberleys and home to Melb via Brissy (Must speak to Sue about her navigating) total distance 12450 KLMS @ 14lt per 100
Give me a few days and I will put some photos on the web
Ray wanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
FollowupID: 17162

Reply By: peck - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:01

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:01
I have a GU cab/chassis that have polyairs fitted and while preparing for trip a few months back was devastated to find major cracking in the inner chassis channel where the rear of the spring tower is welded to it. I have an alternate back that I swap when travelling which allows an excellent oportunity to closely inspect this region. As the vehicle was only just 2 years old and only done 65000 k took it back to the Nissan dealer in Newcastle only to be told "sorry the vehicle has been overloaded"! Rather than stuff around and delay our departure I fixed the bl**dy thing myself. As it was we were delayed by a week but what made matters worse was 5th gear disappearing on the 2nd day out! Not a very happy chappy! Have just sent Nissan a 6 page letter (complete with photos) telling them what rubbish they make and how disgusting their after sales service is. On repairing the cracking inner chassis channel I noticed very poor welding holding the inner chassis rail to the thicker outer chassis rail. On mine this weld bead was very thin and convex and as a result had virtually no penetration on the inner channel. The weld parted which in turn placed excessive stress on the reinforcing tie running down the rear of the spring tunnel and under the chassis which of course failed. If any one wants the photos or a copy of the letter let me know.
AnswerID: 25307

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:03

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:03
You sound shocked that Nissan would do nothing, it seems regular with Nissan since Renault took over.

at least you got it fixed.

Its always worth upping photos of dodgey work from car manufacturers, may help someone else out sometime lookin for problems!

Also posting it on the GU list may be an idea to see if others are having same problem, or so they can check theres!
FollowupID: 17231

Sponsored Links