Which Insurance Company ? ?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 16:20
ThreadID: 6044 Views:2606 Replies:15 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have just got my new 4x4 Duel cab Rodeo and want to get the run down on who is the best mob to use . I live in QLD and I want to be covered if I go to landcruiser park. I have read a lot of posts but it's still not clear to me who will cover me there and who won't. I plan to go on a trip to the Gulf in 2 months up to Ithica station fishing and want to be sure I'm covered there also. Any info would be great

Regards
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:51

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:51
there all theives so be carefull. but when i was with NRMA i rang them up and asked if i was cover if going off road the answer was yes so i asked if they could put that in writing the answer was it is already in the booklet they sent out with my papers and sure enough it was not sure excatly what the words were but i rmember at the time that it was that they covered on or off road. not to sure about landcruiser park though.
im not an NRMA rep so this is not properganda at all but im now with AAMI and am happy with them as well.
if your hoping to get info on landy park start corespondance with a relevant insurance agency as from what ive been told that they take a while to get there heads and fingers around answering questions and oking questions.
if you also search the archieves theres 2 massive disscusions on this as well (that i know for sure). Rohan has found heaps about AAMI as well on this thread.
i hope ive helped.
AnswerID: 25311

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:03

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:03
I have a 1998 GXL 100 series L/C with all the extras you can think of and am with "Australian 4WD Insurance" underwritten by CGU Insurance Ltd. Full cover on and off road and all add-ons covered #350 excess and premium $832. I am 53yo with no accident history. I use DGA brokers www.dgainsurance.com.au...over to you :-)
AnswerID: 25316

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:26

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:26
Be warned that Austral;ian 4WD insurance underwritten by CGU and marketed by ARB shops around the country are not good at all. I was with them for 4 years with 7 vehicles and they were great at taking my money until I had to make a claim for vandalism to the car. I had upgraded a vehicle and was billed directly by CGU and I paid my premium. 9 months later had to make the vandalism claim and Aust 4WD told me that I was actually not insured at all. They couldn't tell me who cashed my postal order for the policy and that my car had been uninsured for 9 months. I wnt to the insurance ombudsman who tried to sort it out and the insurance co told them that I was never insured with them and that I was falsifying my claim. I went back and forwards to both broker and underwriter with no satisfaction for 6 months and recieved letters from their claims manager who could have been taken to court for the things that they had said. The telephone answering bitchess have the worst PR skills in the business. One letter was a patronising condescending load of tripe. I will NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE AGAIN. Since being with AAMI I have had great customer service, claim follow up and even got deals for the other cars and the house and contents. Try AAMI they are the bees knees. Andy

PS Do a search in the forum on Australian 4WD Insurance and then do a search undr AAMI and you will get good feedback.
FollowupID: 17143

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:26

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:26
I'm contemplating going to them, have all the paperwork, just got to send it in.
GIO (current insurer) have failed to get back to me with answers to some pertinent questions I put to them, so it looks like they miss out.
Have you been with them long, and are they ok?
Gerry
FollowupID: 17144

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:32

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:32
I have been with them 9 months...never had to claim
FollowupID: 17145

Reply By: Davidm - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:03

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:03
Great stuff thanks for the Info guys I will check them both out but AAMI seems like the way to go at the moment

Thanks
David
AnswerID: 25320

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:03

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:03
David, its still not clear to anyone. Not even insurance companies as they tell EVERYONE something different each time.

So good luck!
AnswerID: 25321

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:41

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 20:41
Davidm,
I use TCIS for my insurance, they are club affliated so I don't know if you are in a club or not. The premiums this year have gone up considerably or that's what I've found and whoever you go with you need to get the magnifying glass out and read the very fine print. Insurance companies are getting very smart about what they put down and the difference between your interpretation and theirs can be quite far apart. make sure you have all your parts / accessories nominated and valued correctly, plus the value of your fourby. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25324

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:43

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:43
I did a LOONNGGGG piece a while back about AAMI who will not cover any group/organized outings (despite the "safety in numbers" concept). They will not cover you on car club/4WD club outings and are VERY inconsistant with their approach. I communicated with no less than 4 people over a period of two days (NOT good customer relations technique). They seem to have "drop-down" menus of stock answers which quite often did not answer the question being asked.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!

Go into their state head office and ask the hard questions and get the answers in writing that day, signed by two members of staff with phone contacts. I reckon if we have a duty of disclosure to them then they have a duty of disclosure to us. Ask "Under what circumstances am I NOT covered", with an abslolute written inclusion that everthing else IS covered in writing.

I'll be doing the rounds again in a couple of weeks, see if any of them have softened their line.
AnswerID: 25339

Reply By: Rowie - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:20

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:20
Try Elders Insurance in Sth Brisbane. Phone (07) 38312400 and ask for a gentleman named Kim Harrold. I have personally dealt with him for many years. If you want difinitive answers to any question he will deliver without hesitation unambiguously, as well as provide you with an exemplary level of service if you ever have unforunate need to make a claim. Other than being one of Kim's satisfied customers, I have no assocaiation with Elders whatsoever. P.S. They will write policies for customers residing anywhere in Australia. Feel free to post me at rgg066@hotmail.com off list if any of you want further info.
AnswerID: 25342

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 18:37

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 18:37
I'll give him a call, thanks.
FollowupID: 17186

Follow Up By: Davidm - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 18:48

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 18:48
I will give him a call also,Thanks
FollowupID: 17188

Reply By: Groove - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 14:09

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 14:09
I have been with NRMA fro some time now and am quite pleased with their service.
Two years ago the rear axel housing (about 30cm from the diff) on my NG Pajero snaped in two in the middle of the simpson desert.

The towing bill was $3500 to birdsville alone. The car was then truccked to brisbane for repair. New diff, suspension, muffler. NRMA covered all expenses and NRMA Plus covered accomodation expenses and some car hire costs as well.

Cant complain about that.
AnswerID: 25349

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 19:28

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 19:28
we use alianze(direct dial)
been with them for years no trouble as yet made 1 claim for driving into a dam and copped a little damage getting it out.
the accident(better word than my stupidity)was not on any road way of the beaten track and they didnt ask questions and just paid our panel beater.
not sure if there up your way.
but cover things like 2"lift(writen on policy)
new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25365

Reply By: cj - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 21:34

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 21:34
I have insured with GIO and although never having a 4wd claim with them, when I have claimed for other vehicles they have been great. The premium was the best although they didn't want to know about paying out for vehicle value plus accessories value if stolen or written off but as everything is listed if individual items are stolen or damaged they will cover them (as the market value is more than I paid for the vehicle with accessories fitted I'd be ahead financially, although replacing it would cost more). They will cover Australia wide including off gazetted roads and on private property but not places like Landcruiser park. I suppose it's like everything, you pay your money and take your chances with the risks you are willing to deal with.
AnswerID: 25372

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:54

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:54
The thing with insurance is not being covered, its when you go to get $$ out of them.

I personally dont trust them 1 micron, any of them.

Insurance companies are right up there with banks child molestors, and rapists in my books.
AnswerID: 25418

Reply By: Member - Donald L- Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:53

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:53
David,
I am in NSW & have excellent protection with the NRMA. been with them 26 years & have gold card. Have made a few claims with bush damage with 4WD, no problem. (covered for 4WD for last 12 years)
I do not know if there is a QLD equivalent or the NRMA will cover interstate.
Read all the fine print & suggest worst case scenarios to prospective companies to see what the reaction is so there are no surprises or hidden negative agenda for you. Your driving record can dictate final outcome etc.
Good luck mate,
cheers
Donald
AnswerID: 25421

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:16

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:16
A point to remember with all classes of insurance is "If it's not EXCLUDED, it's INCLUDED".
If they don't know what they're covering, let them say in court or to the ombudsman, why some thing is not a claim, if it isn't excluded under a policy.
But ask all the questions as others have advised, get names on paper, dates and times, don't just rely on some turkey from a call centre giving you the right info.
A good broker, if you can find one, is worth his weight in gold, and will certainly, as part of their contract with you, ask all the right questions.
AnswerID: 25477

Reply By: Glenno - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:21

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:21
I live in Qld and just insured a new Hilux Dual Cab 3.0TD SR5. Have been on Rating 1 for 3yrs and have 3 policies with RACQ.

Prices were:

NRMA $603
Suncorp Metway $679
AAMI $759
RACQ $793
$8K worth of accessories (canopy, bullbar, towbar, aircon, lockers etc) didnt alter the permium as the first 12 months is a replacement warranty. After that i will have to go agreed value to cover the accessories.

The NRMA lady said i am covered anywhere in Australia as long as i am not competing. This includes tracks and non gazetted roads etc.

Im waiting for the policy booklet to arrive in the next few days to give it a closer look.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 25503

Reply By: Davidm - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:02

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:02
Weel after speaking to racq I think I will go woth them. They covered me for an agreed value and cover me for place's like landcruiser park. They are about 90$ more expensive thatn my cheapest quote but I feel better knowing I have a better cover.
Thanks to all who helped with info was all helpful

Thnaks Guys

Regards

David
AnswerID: 25623

Sponsored Links