petprass what GPS??

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 09:37
ThreadID: 6051 Views:2024 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Peter,

What GPS system did you actually end up buying from the US.

cheers

Lyn1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: petprass - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:00

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:00
Lyn,

After a lot of searching and working out what I wanted, I decided on a Meridian Platinum GPS. It is the top of the range GPS and costs around $1,000 here in Aus. (seen it as high as $1,049 at Dick Smiths). It is a really fantastic unit and when set up with Magellan's DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks cd, you have everything that a moving map system gives you, but much more convenient and versatile.

I then looked at the US internet stores and found a supplier that could ship to Aust (not all do) that also supplied all the other "essential" stuff that you have to have. So I didn't necessarily pick the absolute cheapest supplier, but I chose one that could supply me with all the goodies who also had a good price - I didn't want to spend a lot of time ordering from different places and pay shipping for small items. Also more chance of having stuff lost in the mail.

My advice is to get a gps with map function and high expandable memory capability from USA. Will cost less than half the Aus price. Get a 256mb card to load the DiscoverAus cd (237mb), get a cigarette lighter power cable with dual connection to laptop, SD card reader for loading maps onto the SD card quickly and a Magellan gps vehicle mount. All of this including shipping and duty and GST and customs handling was still nearly $200 less than just the gps would have cost me here.

There are some pitfalls regarding basemaps - so do your research thoroughly before embarking on this route. However once you get through, it is absolutely fantastic. I

Peter

AnswerID: 25484

Reply By: petprass - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:10

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:10
Lyn,

For research on purchasing from USA - look in ExplorOZ forum archives and also get onto this yahoo group site: Magellan_Meridian@yahoogroups.com

From memory there was a lot of discussion around May of this year on this topic, but don't forget to look at more recent stuff as things change.

Peter
AnswerID: 25486

Sponsored Links