Any good/bad news on Navara dual cab!

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:57
ThreadID: 6053 Views:4091 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Firstly I must say many thanks to all who have commented on my questions, it is all much appreciated and taken into concideration.
Still deciding on 'what is best' as it may be with me for some time.
I have mostly had 'large' 4x4's but like the look of the Nissan Navara Dually, don't know much about them though, any comments on ability, fuel consumption, any niggly faults etc much appreciated.
Impressive towing ability for a 'mid' range vehicle, only a few hundred kilo's below the 'big' patrol!
Cheers guys, keep rockin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:16

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:16
what year are you looking at?
I have a 99 3.2 litre diesel 5 speed that i am mostly happy with good looks , economy and moderate power good for towing but highway speed uphill can be slow.
Bad points i can see are no child restraint anchor points, big change in low 1st gear to low 2nd gear which you notice on steep long hills , the fuel tank on duel cabs is too small(60 litres -55 usable) and a average front suspension setup utilising torsion bars ( would be better with spings ) with not much travel.
oh yeah not much space for legroom in rear seats.
But i will keep mine for a while it does most of what i need as i said these are i think the realistic bad points but the good outweigh the bad .

hope it helps
1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 25378

Follow Up By: tomic - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:54

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:54
Hi Toonfish,
I would be looking around the $20,000 mark for a vehicle, luckly I don't require child restraints any more as my youngest is 11yrs and dying to go 'outback' with dad!
You mention a few good points to concider, pritty pathetic fuel tank , like you say, should have at least 85lt!
I would have thought by now Nissan would have the springs all around alternative for there whole range!!
Yep Dually's never seem to have quite enough space in the back!(Nissan take note!)
There is good and bad for all in all vehicles, thanks for the input, drive safe and sure my friend.
FollowupID: 17214

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:22

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:22
Tomic,
We purchased a Navara 3ltTD STI about 4 months ago and have had no problems at all. We removed the tray and fitted an ally tray and carry about 800kg of load at all times the only thing we had to do was fit air springs to the rear (Olympic, not poly airs) In their standard form they need about 200kg in the back to smooth out the ride. We looked at all the twin cabs and felt for drive and value for money you could not go past the STI TD.

Big John
AnswerID: 25379

Follow Up By: tomic - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:00

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:00
Gezz some people have all the luck, a new one!! I wish!
Yep I think your right about the value for dollar, does the new tray get rid of much weight?
Any idea of your fuel consuption as yet?
I must admit the new Navaras do look great, when did the resent model come out??
Cheers Big John, Stay safe, drive far!
FollowupID: 17215

Reply By: crowe - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:32

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:32
i have one for work, 2000 model 3.2D (no turbo). I drive it hard as thats whats required to get it up and bogalling. Hopeless for towing traliers with any weight, even with a few extra people in the cab its like russian rulete overtaking people.

I have driven the new turbo model but only in utility form, a marked improvement on the old one but suffers a little in low down torque, as to be expected but tows briliantly. Just need to change driving style and use more of the rev range before changing.

As for 4WD capabilities, i think they are quite alright and much more cofortable than some fo the competition if your not sitting in the back, its pretty bouncy back there if you have kids, regular passengers etc. Nothing a couple of bags of cement cant fix if your using it unloaded round town.
AnswerID: 25698

Sponsored Links