Patrol GU Dual battery earth point

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 6063 Views:3291 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
Love the site, joined during the week and posting my first question...
I have a 2001 3.0 Litre TD Patrol, and am currently putting in a dual battery
system. May seem like a stupid question, but can anyone tell me the best
point to earth the second battery to?
Thanks in advance,
Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Donald L- Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:13

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:13
Josh,
I put a 2nd battery (deep-cycle) kit in my GU 2.8TD ST.
For the POS+ I ran continious 8mm dia multi-strand regulation heavy duty copper battery terminal cable to the rear where I have several outlets in the back for Fridge etc. The earth at the battery I put on the adjacent body structure at a previous tapped hole where the battery bracket was to be anchored under the bonnet. At the rear I terminated the POS+ with an insulated terminal block & ran 5mm copper via a Fuse Block (marine) for the + connections. The earth terminal at the rear I also used 5mm copper to connect from bodywork to the plug connector etc.
This was installed 3 years ago, there has been no problems running a compressor type fridge with no voltage drop. Freezes the beer that's the problem.
Also there has been no corrosion on the chassis connection points.
The POS+ cable was run external under the GU along the chassis hence you have to ensure the cable is kept away from moving parts, the exhaust & is securred sufficiently to prevent fretting of the insulation by vibration at any point.
Sounds like it is a bit overdone but I would rather do a little bit extra than have the system fail on me in the bush or have a fire etc.
Hope this is of some help.
cheers
Donald
AnswerID: 25377

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 12:14

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 12:14
Josh,

Theres a natural earth point on the motor, on the passenger side it the thing near the tray you'l be fitting, lemme know and I'll take a pic of mine of ya need it.

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 25397

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 17:01

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 17:01
Stuck mine on with the clump of standard earth wires just behind the passenger headlight. Guy i bouyght the kit from suggested running another cable to the engine also. Belts and braces. make sure you scratch the paint for contact.
AnswerID: 25408

Reply By: Member - Joshua- Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:36

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:36
Thanks to all for the replies. Used an earth point straight onto the chasis. Put all the components together today. The Trailblaza is in the back now on freeze, been on for about 6 hours, and so far so good.
Thanks for the help
Josh
AnswerID: 25428

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:26

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:26
Hi Joshua,

Hate to come in late, but two earth points is best - one to the body and one to the engine. The engine one is the most important as it allows your battery to be recharged at the maximum rate by having little if any voltage drop.

Phil
AnswerID: 25435

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)