Landcruiser 60s 2H hickuping

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:21
ThreadID: 6071 Views:7434 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Last year Peter Johannsen posted a question on a hickuping landcruiser.
I was wondering if you, or anyone, was still chasing the problem?
The problem is that the engine momintarily cuts out and back in while driving(hickups).
This is a VERY intermittent problem and extreemly anoying when it seems to hapen all the time untill you actually start looking for the problem.
I have come accross the problem now several times in various cruisers.

There is another similar problem. The engine cutts out shortly after starting. This is an oil pressure and/or oil pressure switch problem. In an answer to Peter it was suggested that this was the cause of the hickuping problem. Not the case.
(I have got some info on slightly lengthening the 3 seconds the fuel control relay gives if anyone is interested, gordonross308@hotmail.com)
Before you go buying a $400 fuel control module that will not work!

Now I HAVE to find the problem. (my folks cruiser)
If anyone has some info it would be apriciated.
For the moment I am drawing out the fuel control module schematic and working back to find the elusive little f@#*. (its not in the module by the way (I think)).
Give me a yell if your interested in my findings.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ADRIAN- Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 23:54

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 23:54
check fuses i have found this to be the cause in the past
some times tail light /shot in trailer plug can cause this problem never had problem with edic motor controler. remove arm to pumps to keep going /you will have to stall to stop eng. [ temp measureonly]
AnswerID: 25451

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 07:25

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 07:25
I had a simular problem, driving at night with all lights on and under load it would cut out for a momonet then drive on. I replaced the headlight wiring loom to one that included relays, problem solved and heaps better lights to boot.

It can also be a short in the fuel control relay.
AnswerID: 25458

Follow Up By: Rossco - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:48

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:48
Thanx for that.
My prob: Im in Brisy and the cruiser isnt.
so thats why im working it out from the fuel control module back.
Sparkies down south have had numerous attempts at different things that have not worked. So I have a beter chance working the whole system out and simulating the same problem than I do finding anything when (if) it was playing up.
Head lights??? I don't know how exactly but worth looking into. The only thing is that this one does it headlights or not! day, night, hot, cold, raining, snowing, slow, fast, um... only not when im there to test what is going on.
It seems to be evenly spaced (when hickuping) at 11 seconds?
I havn't spent much time on it yet, athough this is where I plan to start.
thanx again, will see if there is any feed to the module that is light related.

FollowupID: 17290

Reply By: brownie - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:13

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:13
rossco,
I've had this hiccupping problem on my hj75. Try fitting an extra , or renewing, the earth straps from the engine to the body & to the battery - solved the problem for me.

The oil pressure switch situation is different and isn't related to the hiccupping, its only a minor annoyance and does let you know that the oil pressure switch is working correctly - handy for the day your oil filter blows off !!

cheers
AnswerID: 25868

Sponsored Links