generator noise

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:33
ThreadID: 6088 Views:5236 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi there, i was reading with interest some of the forum letters concerning generators and whether or not theyr'e a valid accessory for the average 4wdriver/caravanner or just an easy way of upsetting your fellow travellers with their noise and pollution (even tho these days both of these problems seem to be quite minimal with new technology) and was wondering if anyone has tried a sound proofing box (maybe just an old esky upside down with a few small holes to let the gas out) to limit the noise and let it be used without bothering everyone else. Having just bought a new generator (honda eu10i) i'd like to be able to use it at camp sites etc without annoying others in the area.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:56

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:56
Good idea. When a fellow traveller ask me if I mind him running a generator, no I say as long as i can plug into it with my 60m long lead.

They put it that far away the other side you do not hear it at all.

No problem.
AnswerID: 25483

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:46

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 14:46
Hi Wes, I had a setup like that when I used to run a generator for my fridge. The only thing you have to take into consideration when building a soundproof box is that most portable generators are air cooled so you have to allow sufficient space for air movement around the generator so that it doesn't overheat. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 25489

Follow Up By: wes - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:41
does anyone know of a company that manufactures these sorts of things, because like u say air flow around the generator would be high priority, and it would be an expensive mistake to make...
FollowupID: 17278

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 18:16

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 18:16
Hi Wes,

I spent 5 years on the road lugging a 27 footer around and of necessity had to have a generator. I have a Suzuki 800 and it is reasonably quiet. I normally put it on the opposite side of the van to other campers and had a piece of board to deflect any noise away. Some things to think of are:

Standing the generator on a platform which has 100mm foam underneath at ground level.

Making an extension removable exhaust and muffler from motorbike parts and attaching it so that it points upwards say to a height of 2 to 2.5 metres.

Another one is to run an extension exhaust pipe through a small drum of water......but that's too elaborate.

We were camped at place in the NT when a bloke pitched up around 3pm in a truck with a trailer and a 4x4 on the trailer. "Do ya mind if I run me gennie to cool me beer down?" he said with a can in hand. There were about six other campers there sitting in a circle around a smouldering fire. "No worries" we all said in unison. Well............he started this 2.5kva Yanmar diesel which had a broken muffler and that was mounted on a steel skid plate on the back of the tipper..........and the noise was extreme. After an hour we asked if he could please turn the noise off. He refused. We all got up walked over to his truck, beckoned to him and toild him to bleep off or else. He complied but begrudgingly calling us a pack of bastards!!

This was an extreme case. Normally campers help one another out and turn generators off at 10pm

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25508

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 13:37

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 13:37
I don't think people mind minimal use during the day for recharging gear etc, but even around the fire at night the constant drone of even the quietest generator defeats the purpose of why we go bush. Some people like their camp lit up like suburbia, run power tools, or loud music - all of which detracts from the bush experience. To the owner, the constant thrum of the Honda is a source of pride. To others within earshot, it is a PITA.
FollowupID: 17357

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:21
Ok Here are the people that make these things.........
Company called "CEMQUIP Power Equipment" Unit 2, 7 Lear Jet Drive Caboolture QLD 4510 - Email cemquip@eis.net.au - Phone (07)54983500 or mobile 0413790166.
I swear you cannot hear the genset running inside these enclosures, even bigger Generators.
They are really neat, the lid ends up being the fuel tank, holding heaps of fuel for really long runnig times.
They have special fan setups to keep the engine cool and keep the sound in.
I saw them at the Dubbo 4x4 Show........and could not believe the generator was running when the guy opened the lid!!!
They have all shapes and sizes..........and no I do not work for them!

John
AnswerID: 25645

Sponsored Links