What are the must go spots in the Kimberleys?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:53
ThreadID: 6097 Views:2031 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to the Canning in about 3 weeks. Before we head down the Canning we will be in the Kimberleys for only 1 week, so will not have much time to look round. Not knowing this area of Australia very well I ask of people whom have been there to name their "Must go spot"

Thanks John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:50
Big John,

You are not allowing yourself much time. Must see places are Lake Argyle, 5 Rivers lookout at Wyndham, Bungle Bungles and Wolf Creek Crater. That and a look see around Kununurra will take up your week. And you might want to do a spot of barra fishing below the barrage at Kununurra. Enjoy.

I hope you are not taking the tinnie and camper and all the other gear down the Canning????? You'll be sorry if you do. North/South Canning is a lot harder than the reverse.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25536

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 21:21

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 21:21
Willem,
No we are not taking the tinnie this time, in fact we are trying to strip as much weight as possible this time. We have 10 cars doing The Canning durring which Lifestyle Video Productions will be remaking their video of the Canning and will be available for sale later in the year. We are aware that it is harder travelling north to south so we will always have lead vehicles to snach or winch off and to keep the Nissan boys happy the lead vehicle will be a 3lt TD patrol (not going to look good on the video) Anyway you will probably read more about our tip later. Thanks for your tips

regards
john
FollowupID: 17309

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 21:31

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 21:31
We did a solo Canning North/South 9 years ago in a 15yo Tojo. Go to my website www.kempen.id.au and check out the Canning article in the 4x4 section. Happy travels.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17312

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:50
Add tunnel creek to that list John and a TD42T X CAB PATROL would certanly look good in frount , wouldn,t it ?Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 17393

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:53
PS John . Should be in Brise Xmas 2004 , wouldn,t mind catching up with you then .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 17394

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 23:16

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 23:16
When in the Bungles do a helicopter flight (or a plane) - only way to appreciate the extent of the area. At about $190 an adult for 30 mins its a once in a life time thing.

Do a sunset cruise on Lake Argyle.

Take the King River Rd (off GRR) Wyndham and come back via Parrys Lagoon.

Go to ELQ and stay at a private camping site by the creek - they could a bit dusty though. While there do Emma Gorge and Zebedy hot springs.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 25559

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:30
with only a week I wouldn't bother with Wyndham to be perfectly honest !
If you're going in at Halls Creek then yes, pop into Wolfe Creek. Kununurra is a great spot (see hidden valley or Mini Bungle bubgles as it's affectionately known)and El Questro, Emma Gorge are an easy hour or two's drive from there. Great restaurant at Emma Gorge and a good spot to take the missus for lunch. With only a week to spare I don't think you'll have time for much else so I'll leave it at that.
Wish I was there now in factso many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 25582

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:43

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:43
Five Rivers lookout at Wyndham is one of the best veiws you'll see anywhere. If you're in Kununurra anyway you can duck up to Wyndham in a half day if you had to. The view is worth the effort IMHO.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 17344

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:21

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:21
see now I can't agree with that at all sorry Melissa. Five rivers is pretty well ALL that Wyndham has to offer and our group of ten all said that it was disappointing and that they wouldn't bother again. Given John only has a week I couldn't recommend it to him given all the other spectacular things there are to see.
I will check out the lookout again one day but can't commit to telling anyone to go out of their way to view it.
Sure glad you enjoyed it though and I'm sure countless others have too.
so many places, so little time !!!
FollowupID: 17445

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:29

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:29
Allyn,

Each to their own. I've always said it would be a boring old world if we all thought the same! Agree that the lookout is about all Wyndham has to offer though. I just think you're spoiled living up there in Broome and getting around the Kimberely and Pilbara all the time :))))) I don't know how you cope with it, LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 17506

Reply By: Member - Rob G - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:33

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:33
Big J.

With limited time, just head on down the Gibb River Road & check out the gorges along the way. Not to be missed.
AnswerID: 25583

Reply By: pacer - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:47
And if going down the Gibb River Road call in at Imintji store and say gidday to Hadley and his dog Fantum. The pig and brolga are no longer there. Locals must have got hungry!
AnswerID: 25701

Sponsored Links