Hiclones in Pathfinders

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 23:21
ThreadID: 6103 Views:1847 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I read a post by Rohan K about his experience with hiclones in his Pathfinder.

Rohan, if you get his message I would appreciate it if you could get back to me as I am very interested in your experience with them and in particular the exact position you fitted it in relation to the air box.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:01
Hi Powelly. I haven't yet measured exactly where I finally located them, but I will and will let you know.

Despite lots of Hiclone bagging on this site, and elswhere, I actually spent 8 weeks testing and taking fuel consumption readings so I'm satisfied that they work for me in the Pathy. Its not a huge gain, but enough to pay for themselves inside a year (about 8 months in my case), depending on your kms, and they did provide a slight improvement in the throttle responsiveness. Worth a try anyway. You can always send them back.

RohanSmile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 25702

Follow Up By: Powelly - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:20
Rohan,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm willing to give anything a go and hey if you can get your money back, you've got nothing to lose.

Like you (and all other Pathy owners) I was a little peeved about the Pathy's fuel consumption which for me hardly improves on highway runs compared to city running. Now that I live in the Kimberleys in WA I have the Gibb River road at my door step so I'll be doing a load of K's in the next 2 years or so. Lets just hope old Pathy can can take the punishment up here!!

If Nissan would only see the light and put the 3L direct injection turbo diesel into the Pathy, then you would have the perfect mid size 4 wheeler (in my opinion). What do you think??

Cheers,

Powelly
FollowupID: 17480

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:24

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:24
Powelly, what model Pathy do you have?

Yes, I agree - add a TD motor and toss the IFS and you'd have the perfect mid-sized 4x4. I reckon every Pathy owner I've met would have gone for the 3.0 TD if Nissan had made it available here. I almost went for a Jeep instead of the Pathy, because Jeep offered a TD motor, but in the end the Jeep was just too small.

BTW, duck over to Overlander Forumhttp://

Look for the "Pathfinder (mods'n'stuff)" thread in the technical section and have a chat with some other Pathy owners.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 17494

Follow Up By: Powelly - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:08

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:08
Rohan,

I have a 2000 Ti with a factory bullbar, Nite stalker spotties, a Rhino sportz rack with a cargo basket, a UniFilter air filter and a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts, other than that she is stock.

On the whole I have been very happy with the wagon (except for its average range and fuel consumption) and it has gone places that I thought it would have no hope of traversing. So it has surprised me and many others who believe that Cruisers and Patrols are the 'go anywhere' vehicles.

Thanks for the link to the Overlander forum, should make some good reading.

PS have you tried resetting your ECU?? If so did it make any difference??

Cheers,

Powelly..
FollowupID: 17557

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:18

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:18
Powelly, sorry, I still haven't taken those measurements yet. I'll do it tomorrow.

Yes, I have reset the ECU. I actually did it several times while testing the Hiclones. I had enjoyed minimal improvements after trying several different positions for one, and the two Hiclones and the K&N filter so called John (Hiclone). Following that discussion, I reset the ECU and it made a marked difference. I then went through the entire testing exercise again, resetting the ECU each time, to finally arrive at the configuration I now have (2 Hiclones, at X and Y, and the K&N filter).

Resetting the ECU had a definite impact. I don't know if Nissan do this when they service the vehicle but it may be worth asking. I also reckon, from my experience, that you'd need to reset the ECU before changing fuel types (std to premium or visa-versa) to gain any benefit. Swapping between std and premium every few tank-fulls probably doesn't give the ECU enough time to "learn" and adjust settings to achieve the best results from whichever fuel is being used. I don't think most folk realise that. I know people who put a tank-full of premium in every so often in the belief that it helps clean/"tune" the motor.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 17565

Sponsored Links