60 Series landy's

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:37
ThreadID: 6105 Views:1774 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just writting to find out a little more on the 60 series landcruisers, iam new to the 4wdriving scene and have been looking around and reading alot about the 60 series but i want to find out from all who actually own them. iam looking at a diesel, manual 1986 model at the moment. sitting in the drivers seat i found that while in low range 4 the shifter seamed to be pretty close to my leg, does anyone have a problem or have heared of a problem with knocking it into neutral or high 4 while 4wdriving? Also any feed back and common problems if any that they might have would be a real help. Thanks alot and ill see you in the bush very soon!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:05
Hi Neil,

If the shifter is too close to your leg then move it. You can cut the lever and add a piece on and bend it out of the way. I owned the previous model to a 60 series. The 60 is a very sturdy 4by and if diesel, powered by the ever reliable 2H engine. Before you buy one check out the suspension, drive line, brakes and front swivel hubs. Also check out the roof line for rust. Early model Toyotas are prone to rust.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25573

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:23

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:23
Neil
I don't know your budget but you can pick up an 80 series for around the 20K mark these days. That would be a fine pick up for your first fourby. Having siad that I have a sof spot for the 60 also but there relatively different vehicles with the 80 being more refined.so many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 25580

Reply By: geoff - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:01
I have had my champion 1985 60 series 2H for the last 7 years and it has not let me down once, It has taken me and my family, (wife and two kids) across the country, through the kimberlie, across deserts, along beaches and everywhere I have asked it to. It is comfortable, reliable, capable and still kinda spunky if I do say so myself. You will get parts for these things wherever your travels may take you, and you will see them in the most remote of places. All in all I could not recomend them too much. That being said however, come friday I will be picking up the 96 GXL Turbo Diesel we have just purchased and yoicks........ how leisurley does it make the 2H look....... my experience with the 60, (my second fourby, the first was a series III LWB landie.....yahoooooooo) has convinced me to continue on with Toyota and if the new one is half as reliable and capable as the old 60 I'll be cheering. btw, I've got a beaut 60 series for sale.........
AnswerID: 25591

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 17:09
Hi Neil
The 60 was and is a excellent 4b. Later models were better than earlier, later than 87 had square headlights, best of these were turbo diesel 12ht. There is one for sale at the moment check out www.overlander.com.au/forumn/ forsales... sahara i think... Now, for thesame money you could be buying a GQ, or for a bit more an 80. The best free advice you will hear from us is to buy a well looked after example, some of the cheapies will cost more to maintain than a new 100 would cost to buy, so start looking for that one owner with books, and a very good thing to see on one is the original numberplates....
Happy hunting...ps also check out www.pickles.com.au-30k will get you a 2y/o cruiser:-)
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25614

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:28
Niel,
I too was the proud owner of an 86 Sahara Turbo Diesel until earlier this year and I still miss the old girl. I'm around the 1850mm mark and I never had any problems knocking anything out of gear. Rust around the roof line and under the footwell are the places to watch. The 12HT motor is good for 5-600000 k's It is probably one of Toyota's best. Only sold it because local CEO is getting old and wanted a softer ride. It was far cheaper to upgrade truck than appoint new CEO.
Sold it for $15,000.Alpaca
AnswerID: 25633

Follow Up By: tristjo - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:50

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:50
Alpaca,

Geez, musta been in good nik to get 15k!! My mate just bought a 12ht auto for 6 and a half!! Nice truck for that dosh, too.
FollowupID: 17403

Reply By: tristjo - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 00:03

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 00:03
G'day Neil,

I don't own one myself, but my uncle has an '83 model 2H 5 speed. Has proven to be a reliable truck, despite a few small problems. He picked it up for a little under 5k, but it did have 400k on it and the body was a little rough, but surprisingly, no rust!!

But, if your considering the 2H, keep one thing in mind. They are VERY, VERY, SLOW!! Sometimes I joke with him that I could run faster than his truck!!

A mate of mine has recently picked up a 12HT auto 60, not sure of the year, though. His also had around 450k on the clock, but he managed to pick it up for 6 and a half grand, from memory. It is a realy nice truck for that dosh, and I was really surprised with how much get up an go it has. Even in auto form, pulling out into traffic was never a drama, and it was beautifull to dive when you could keep her on boost!!

With all the 60's though, there a few downsides. The suspension ain't fantastic in standard form. Tends to pitch and roll ALOT! The brakes are a bit uninspiring, also.

All in all, 60 are good trucks, but for around 15k you could buy yourself a nice diesel GQ, which in my mind is a far superior vehicle. Better motor, better brakes (discs), better suspension (coils), and alot more potential to modify. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Good luck, and get out and have some fun!!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 25654

Reply By: Neil.c. - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:17

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:17
Far out!!!! i didnt expect this sort of reply from so many people, thanks heaps to everyone who rote back it has put my mind at ease, usually you dont get any advise unless your handing over cash or a carton! no its not that bad but thanks again for all your held, i have come out a wiser man. I have been looking at the GQ SWB but here in PERTH WA there isnt alot of diesels for under 14/16k and whats with all the autos?? Thanks again guys.

Neil.

AnswerID: 25824

Sponsored Links