Iridium Sat-Phone.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 611 Views:2039 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me any information about the reintroduced Iridium system, call costs, coverage and availability of service and handsets (preferably in Tasmania or Victoria). Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Thursday, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:00
Tell us when this all happened ! Its news to me/ everyone, and we all thought this system was dead and buried ?
pete
AnswerID: 1638

Reply By: Colin- Thursday, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:00
http://www.iridium.com/contact/
The info on their Web site says the service was offered to the public in March 2001. I have requested info on service availibility in Australia. Motorola seems to be the hardware supplier! I will let you know the response. What about the Motorola Sat/mobile phone system?
AnswerID: 1639

Reply By: John R. - Friday, Dec 21, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 21, 2001 at 01:00
It's true. Iridium is back. Apparently just before the satellites were due to be brought back to earth (read crashed into the sea) the American government stepped in with a few threats and promises. Result: new company. Australian distributors are Satellite Communications Australia, www.satcoms.com.au based in Melbourne(see ad on page 95 in October 2001 issue of4X4Australia).
I bought my satphone at the Southampton Boat Show three months ago for equivalent of about A$800. Unit was built by Motorola for original iridium network and was supposed to be able to work on GSM network as well. That option no longer available due to new company, contracts, etc. Those early phones were thus sold with updated software but were called REFURBISHED, even though they are brand new, complete with worldwide power adaptors, aerials, adaptors, etc. There is even a dedicated solar charger (optional) so you would never need to be near a power supply, generator or car battery again! There were limited numbers of these and I don't know whether they made it to Australia. Guaranteed worldwide coverage but must be out of doors to receive satellites. Good thing is that people can stay in contact with you through FREE text messages, up to 120 characters, sent either by email or via iridium's website directly to your iridium phone number. Don't know call costs but monthly network charges are about US$30.00 (I am currently living/working in the UK but all bills are calculated in US dollars) Hope this answers your question, John R.
AnswerID: 1641

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00
One of the early problems with Iridium was that the closest base station to Australia was Thailand. Thus the calls were very expensive. It would be good if there was a local base station.
AnswerID: 1642

Sponsored Links