extractors V6 4Runner

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:31
ThreadID: 6117 Views:3985 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any owners, or people with knowledge of, V6 4runners fitted with extractors. I have a 1994 model and I am looking a fitting a set to my unit with a 2 1/2 system. So far from speaking with the exhaust people around town, I have had conflicting views about the gains in performance etc.

Any advice or experince with the fitting would be most appreciated.

cheers for now

PS this is my first time in the forum and am finding some good info on a lot of topics.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 20:33

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 20:33
Gary,
In my opinion anything that allows your engine breath better is a bonus, I think you will notice a difference, it may only be slight but there will be a difference, my economy improved slightly maybe a kilometer a K. I don't have a 4runner but fitting extractors will have a similar effect on the majority of engines, again this is all my opinion from my own experience, hope it helps. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25627

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:22
Gary

I use to own a V6 4runner and went through the same problem.

I'm not sure now why I didn't end up fitting them but I think the reason was, at the time, they just were'nt available for that motor.

Have you been able to find any???

As stated in the other reply, I too always believed extractors to be a good thing and have fitted them to many other cars in the past. Its been about 8 years since I had the 4runner but the reason I didn't get them would have been either 1. I couldn't get them or 2. All reports were not to get them on that motor.

One thing I do remember though was someone who had put a larger exhaust on from the standard pipe which comes down from the manifolds(where the manifolds join into one pipe)

I remember that person stating they were getting better performance from a freer flowing system.

hope you can understand my dribble..

cheers
AnswerID: 25632

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 22:15
gday gary.
im cant speak for for runner but as said above extractors will make a difference.
ive fitted extractors to about 4 of our cars and been a change in all of them.
breath a little easier and rev a little easier.
also a bigger exhaust will also make a differencenew job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25643

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:17

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:17
I had the idea that the V6 in the 4Runner was similar/same as my Prado engine. If so, my experience might be relevant. I went to a well respected tuning shop in Brisbane to get a Unichip, and he recommended a larger exhaust but not extractors - he thought that the factory set was quite good and you wouldn't gain much from fitting extractors. From memory, the exhaust gave me about 10% improvement up the top end, and the chip gave about 10% across the range, and some better fuel economy (eg after putting it on I went around the outback for 8500 km with a hell of a load inside and on top, and averaged about 14 l/100km). Note that this was done with Optimax, so he could wind up the spark advance further - I had an additional switch fitted so I could run normal unleaded when optimax was not available. I thought a 20% improvement on the dyno was reasonable. If you fit extractors, be careful how you do it. I have extractors and unichip on my Falcon, but discovered to my disgust that there are extractors and extractors. In the falcon, tube diameter is critical, and the optimum size to get the right exhaust gas velocity etc is quite small. Most extractors sold have larger tubes for visual appeal and actually reduce performance rather than increasing it.
Good luck with it!Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 25682

Follow Up By: bulldust - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 15:17
i wish i had read some of this stuff b4 i had a set of custom extractors made and fitted to my v6 prado last year. i have found mid range improved but low and high revs it has suffered performance loss. also the engine doesnt seem to run right - that is on warm start up it stinks of a rich mix out of the exhaust & has an occasional rev fit when trying to negotiate obstacles at low revs.
my advice is to keep it all standard, i will be changing back to std. manifolds asap. - i think the technology in modern motors which have computers to run them dont allow for mods.

paul
FollowupID: 18650

Sponsored Links