NATMAPS

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:17
ThreadID: 6119 Views:3190 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A question on NATMAPS.

I like the idea of being able to plan a trip on my computer and have been looking at NATMAPS as source for MAPS.

I do not have a GPS (can't afford one yet) and I do not have OZIEXPLORER (but probably could afford if it is worth it).

My question : is it worth getting the NATMAPS (and OZIEXPLORER) to help plan trips if you do not have a GPS.

The type of trips I am referring to do not include going into remote locations (I am not experienced) but I would like to get off the road a bit.

Is it worth the investiment.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robyn - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:03

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:03
Oziexplorer is magic and definitely worth the investment
Oziexplorer would be ideal for planning trips
When you can afford a basic GPS you will be well ahead already having learnt to use Oziexplorer
AnswerID: 25660

Reply By: Robyn McNamara - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:04

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:04
Oziexplorer is magic and definitely worth the investment
Oziexplorer would be ideal for planning trips
When you can afford a basic GPS you will be well ahead already having learnt to use Oziexplorer
AnswerID: 25661

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:06

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:06
Richard,

The NATMAPS on their own would certainly be a useful aid with trip planning. However, add OziExplorer, and it starts to make life easier. For example, the built in Place Name search database tool allows you to type in the name of a place, select it from the list and it automatically lists each of the maps you have installed that contain that particular location. When you open the map, it then takes you directly to the place on the map you initially searched for.

Once you can afford a GPS, you will then be able to see your position in relation to any routes you may have previously planned.

You could start of with a cheap GPS that has few features, but as most people say, once you start off, you will very quickly want all the features of a more pricey unit. But with the way PocketPC's are going, and the prices for GPS add-on units for them dropping, this may also be an option to explore.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 25665

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:52
Richard, Oziexplorer is free to trial. You can download it from the site www.oziexplorer.com
Be warned: this software is highly addictive and you will soon be buying the GPS even though it means the kids go hungry for a few weeks.
I could send you a sample map if you let me know the region of your interest.

Bob
AnswerID: 25671

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:29

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:29
Having NATMAP Raster 250 maps keeps me amused for hours plotting various excusions in to the bush. When you can afford it get Oziexplorer as it makes plotting your course so much easier. Save your money and buy a top of the range GPS so that you have the right gear when you need it. Don't buy an inferior GPS as you probably won't get any money back for it when you want to upgrade.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25676

Reply By: richard - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:51
WOW,
Thanks everyone for all the replies (I think I was looking for an excuse - and I don't have to tell her any way as I do the accounts :))

I reckon I will start with the NATMAPS.

I have d/l the trial version of OZI but not much use without some maps to play with.

I am hoping to go up Proserpine way, or where ever I end up, for my hols this year so will give me a chance to do some planning or if I can find some other place which would suit a novice offroader (with a softroad vehicle - Forester) who knows!

Thanks again,
Richard

AnswerID: 25740

Sponsored Links