1HZ Glowplugs

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:50
ThreadID: 6122 Views:3136 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Jumped in cruiser this morning and for some reason my glow plugs have stopped working. The glow light on the dash doesn't even come on and the battery voltage meter is reading lower than normal. Now I've checked the fuse box in the cab and all is fine and there's nothing obvious wrong under the bonnet. Put test light onto bridging strap and nothing. Is there a fusable link somewhere under the bonnet and can it be changed for a normal inline fuse if its blown? Vehicle has done a few km's. Any help would be great before we get another cold snap!!
Cheers,
Hughesy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stillthinkinaboutit - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:31

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:31
Maybe the battery is flat, possibly a shorted cell. The voltage is too low to pull the relay in. Have you tried to turn it over ?

Regards,
Mark
AnswerID: 25662

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:56

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:56
starts no worries mark so the battery isn't flat and the fuel cutoff solinoid still works. thanks
FollowupID: 17413

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:39
Gday
Voltage regulator in the top of the alt.
It controls glowplugs by giving the timer a signal(neg) when motor is stopped, but when running it supplies 12v, and the timer knows the motor is running.
Andrew
ps do u have dual batteries? and if so what isolation do you use??wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25668

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:00
Mike, this voltage regulator in the alt, is it a replaceable part or do I need a new alt? i have dual batteries with a "smart relay" little black box (don't remember brand) how could this be affecting it? I was hoping it would be something as simple as a fuse but maybe not. Might have to stop drinking and save for the Toyota parts bill!!! Why couldn't this happen in summer??
Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 17415

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:33
Mal (Leyland)
Stop press, give the plug at the rear of the alt a wiggle and see if it does anything to your dash lights or glow plugs, if nothing read on.
I believe the reg is in the alt and can be changed fairly easily. Dont go for a reco alt with lovely silver reconditioning paint worth $200 alone, but go to the nearest Auto electrician and ask him for a price. Should be about $120 for the reg if its thesame as the one out of the old 2h 60 series i had. Exactly same problem, you may also notice there is no air filter warning light or charge light or water trap light when you turn the key to on-because of that missing negitive signal the lights use. If they are there, then its something else...
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 17437

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:37
Dozer I think you've got it mate because yes all the other lights on the dash also fail to come. Now does this mean that my alternator isn't charging my batteries? And is statring it without glow plugs going to do any harm - ie pumping the cyclinders full of fuel until it fires?? Thanks for ya help Dozer.
Hughesy
FollowupID: 17447

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:07
Hughesy
r u driving a 1hz or 1hdt? Later will fire without glowing, former will be lucky to get going. If you have trouble getting latter going, you MAY if your confident, jump (for 2 or 3 seconds only) from the battery plus to the busbar on the glowplugs, or even better, supply power to the control side of the relay (its right at the back of the engine bay under the arial) for thesame amount of time to get you going.
Your alt is not charging the batteries. The plug at the back of the alt needs to be taken off and cleaned/sprayed/ to make sure its not that first though. Have you noticed in the past, that the dash lights have been flickering on whilst driving??
FollowupID: 17450

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 05:57

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 05:57
Dozer your abloody champion!! Got home last night and got a mate to watch the dash while I wiggled theplug at the back of the alt and the lights all flickered off and on. So I've temp got a zip tie holding the wiring loom in the correct position for it to work. Will be OK for a few days until I can find time to pull it all apart and find the broken wire. Yep as soon as I started it the battery charge came straight back up to normal. The old battery did alright getting me to and from work in the dark for 2 days with no charge. Its a 1HZ and it started fairly easily considering I leave home at 5:30am and its only about 5deg!! Arr the old toyota just wants to keep going!! Thanks heaps Dozer, I'll have a few tinnies for ya since I won't have to deplete the beer fund now.
Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 17487

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:46

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:46
Apparently under the plug is some grease that Toyota put in there to stop water getting in. Clean it all off and gently squeeze the female spade fittings closer together with a small flat screwdriver so they will contact better on the male spades. Then go down the wire and remove the first tie that holds it to the body. Keep on cruisn:-)
FollowupID: 17489

Sponsored Links