Vehicle Insurance

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:15
ThreadID: 6125 Views:1589 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
With the planning of becoming a grey nomad next year, I managed to get caravan insurance australia wide but I have yet to find a vehicle insurance company who will insurance me under these circumstances.

Selling up everything, place goods in storage, hence no residential address.
Will use LandBase Australia as mailing address.

All major insurance companies says the reason is because we are a risk as we will be travelling all the time. Apparently even if you have a residential address and going on a "around australia holiday", you fit into this catergory, there must be heaps of people out there who haven't exercised their "duty of disclosure" and may find it difficult if they need to make a claim.

How have people got by this problem? Is there an insurance company that have a similiar policy as CIL does for caravans.

Will accept private emails also. kayvsturgeon@bigpond.com

Kay & Bill
Townsville
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:35
Dont tell them you are on an around aussie trip, say you are on a 2 week trip. How are they to know otherwise?

have kids?? use their address instead.

try www.tcis.com.au
AnswerID: 25677

Follow Up By: kay_sturgeon - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:40

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:40
I know lots of people do this but "duty of disclosure" means you should tell the truth, otherwise legally you void your claim. My luck would be that the person I would need to do a claim through, would be the guy in the van next to me in a park, or the bloke I have been chatting to at the golf course, or on a pier fishing.

There has to be a way around it legally.

Kay
FollowupID: 17411

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:42
Contact the 4wd association in your state and ask them.

Remember Honest people get nowhere anymore in this world.
FollowupID: 17412

Follow Up By: kay_sturgeon - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 00:43

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 00:43
Definitely thinking honesty is not the best policy. Ta, still working on it.

Kay
FollowupID: 17485

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:44

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:44
We were on the road for 5 years. When we were stationary I had insured the van and the 4by etc but once we went on the road CIL did not want to know as we did not have an address. In the end I stopped worrying and dropped the insurance companies. Just take it easy and be careful. Most of the time the caravan was overloaded and being an old van did not have all the modern braking requirements fitted. In 5 years we were never stopped or inspected and clocked up 260,000km!! The van eventually fell apart and we bought a cheap house in SA.

Australian Pensioner Insurance and other over 50's insurance companies may have better deals. Use Google search engine and go and have a look.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25678

Follow Up By: kay_sturgeon - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 00:40

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 00:40
Willem,

Actually CIL have undertaken to insurance next year, no problem. Their underwriters are Sun Alliance. Rang them today thinking it might help, but had a hard time getting past a shiela on their 13 number who tried to palm me off to APIA and when I told her I had already spoken to them with a NIL result, next thing I was talking to AAIMI, she shafted me without even telling me where she was connecting me too - pity I didnt get her name. Anyway I already knew AAIMI was a nil result also.

Will keep trying.

Kay
Townsville.
FollowupID: 17484

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:01

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:01
Hi Kay,

My folks did the grey nomads thing for 13 years after selling up their house and putting everything in storage. For an residential address to satisfy the insurance co. they just used my sister's place. In actual fact they would stay in their caravan in her backyard for a month or more at a time anyway so it was really their only "permanent" residence anyway.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 25775

Sponsored Links