Which way across Simpson Desert?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:47
ThreadID: 6133 Views:1689 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
With the posts about this area, I wondered which is the typical/easy/most frequently used crossing? I assume it's the French Line from west to east..... How many people have done it the other way? Who's gone around the Rig Road, and was it any more difficult? What if you went west to east along the French Line, down the Birdsville Track to Clifton Hills, then up the Warburton Track and the Rig Road back to Dalhousie? We're pondering going out there next year, trailer to be decided............Russell S
Prado RV6
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: F.M. - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:49
Russ
When we were there most traffic was running w 2 e on the french.We went w 2 e on the waa to avoid a lot of the traffic. However the tracks funneled together before poeppell and most traffic was on the QAA. There were lots travelling E2W on all tracks and the fact they were there means it can be done in either direction OK. I think the dunes were a bit steeper on the eastern face but they wern't as rough.Dont discount the N/S interdunal tracks,their a good run between different sections of the other tracks,although those and the bits of the rig R we were on were heavilly corregated on the harder surfaces.Just allow yourself plenty of time as it is very slow going without knocking the gear around.To do a double trip around will be fabulous if you give yourself a couple of weeks.I wont enter into another trailer debate, my post trip oppinions are on the other post.Just dont underestimate the place.It realy has the potential to bite you on the arse if you take it lightly,and the conditions are against you.
Go and enjoy.Its a great place.
Cheers Mick
PS. Col did OK in the cruiser.Wont give details he'll get savage again.
AnswerID: 25739

Follow Up By: Ditzy - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 18:05

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 18:05
This is a very good post, very sensible also. Next year the Desert will be different again, depending on the type of summer and the winds. SA Govt. may have the law in place about trailers anyhow. Always keep your backside covered out there - because it does bite! Just give yourself heaps of time - don't make a definite plan to go EW or WE until you see how it travels after the summer. Double crossings are great so much to see. Enjoy.
FollowupID: 18075

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:02

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:02
Spot on, FM. Couldn't agree more. French Line see the most traffic and is chopped and rough as guts because of this fact.
There are other alternatives if you feel like some adventure and have the time to deviate. Never a true word spoken, when he said it can bite you in the arse, if you get too complacent.
AnswerID: 25767

Sponsored Links