What brand drawer system?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 14:33
ThreadID: 6152 Views:1931 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Been looking at the outback brand _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, but went to Deparment of the Interior todat at Carlton in Sydney and theirs look of equal quality. Only real difference seems that their ones are made of wood, where i think that Outbacks are made of steel.
My question is, is there anyone out there that had bought or used the ones made by the Department of the interior here in Sydney. I know that they do get a lot of interstate orders.
Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 15:26

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 15:26
Small world Josh - I was at DotI today too looking at the roof consoles. There was a guy there with a GU Patrol getting some other stuff done and he had a drawer system from them - custom job with the 2 _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx verticle next to the fridge (as opposed to under it) - and he loved it.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 25794

Follow Up By: Member - Joshua- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 15:46

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 15:46
yeah, i am looking at getting the roof console for my GU as well, quoted $380 for low profile console with two holes cut for UHF and AM and two maplights. (plus fitting which illl do myself). I havent heard any bad things about them (the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx) , just like to see if anyone has used them or had them for any extended perioud. They look pretty tough though.
Josh
FollowupID: 17514

Reply By: Brad - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:40

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:40
I recently fitted Outbacks (and are very happy with them) for the simple reason they were the only _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx as far as i could ascertain that had a Milford barrier designed to fit exactly to them.
I know this doesn't answer the question but is another factor to consider (which the other manufacturers don't point out).
Regards,
Brad
AnswerID: 25801

Follow Up By: Member - Joshua- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:11

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:11
the ones from DOTI are able to fitted with either a half barrier or full barrier, which i suppose means that it is slightly shorter than the outback ones, as they are designed to be fitted with the half ?
Josh
FollowupID: 17526

Reply By: REXY (nowra nsw) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:10
HI groovers, i looked at fitting a set of custom made _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx to the back of my surf but the price was to much (the war office wouldnt let me play). i ended up doing the job with some help from a mate. i ended up building a 2 draw system with 10mm marine ply - i know a bit excessive but i got 2 mutts to enter into the equation- i used 2 teflon runners per side and some gate bolts to lock it, a bit of marine carpet and a lot of cursing and swearing and viola ive got some _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx:). all up it cost me about $100. it ended up looking pretty dam good (if i might say so myself). i know its not a pro job by any stretch of the imagination but just something i thouhgt i might pass on and it might save you a bit of money

rexy
93' hilux surf (dont hit me please) :P
AnswerID: 25804

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:10
Joshua,
I have the Outback drawer system, I only have good things to say about this system, one thing I do at the same time as vehical services is to check the screws are tight, on one occasion after a trip not long after the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx were fitted I came back and found one was not as tight as the rest. I was told to do this tightness check by the installer so I was expecting it, no problem. I don't have any rattles and the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx work a treat, I've had them in three years and no complaints. Not sure about the wooden option, I was advised to steer clear, and it wasn't by the person selling the steel ones for those synics out there.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25805

Follow Up By: Member - Joshua- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:16

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:16
Yeah, not real sure about the wooden ones. I can see a problem in that they may get wet and possibly rot over time? The obvious benefit however would be the reduction in weight, with no apprent reduction in strenghth... according to DOTI that is. 200kg for the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, 100 kg for the fridge slide
Who told you to stay clear of the wooden ones and why Martyn?
Regards,
Josh
FollowupID: 17527

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:13

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:13
Joshua,
I don't know about the strength issue, the draw chassis with the outback system is pretty robust and I wouldn't say it was that heavy. With regard to the wood over steel issue i was told that the screws would eventually work loose because wood being a "softer" material will always have more play in it, when the screws work loose in wood it's a lod harder to get tight again, with a bolt in metal you just tighten it up again or you can use a spring washer, loctite or some other liquid for thread locking things, wood tends to be harder to repair. After a hard trip on corragations the srews will tend to loosen. I know there are people out there who've had wooden _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx installed for years with no problems at all, as usual this is all my opinion I prefer metal it's solid enviromentally friendly to a point and I find easier to work with and in my opinion easier to repair, if wood was so good cars would still be made out of it. My parents had a Morris 1000 traveller for the aged amongst us and we always had the wood rot problems with the fram around the back, looked good no problem there. My father had this thing with Bog, he couldn't fix the Moggie with bog so he sold it.
If you use marine ply and look after things I don't think the wood rotting would be an issue. What do the weights you mention refer to? The weight the shelf can take or the weight of the shelf going into the fourby? Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 17539

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 00:00
If you use Marine Ply as rexy said it won't rot!
It is made to be used in water!

Brian
FollowupID: 17553

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:10

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:10
Joshua - I too have the outback _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and can't fault them, but I looked at the wooden _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx as well. Check out 4WD Storage _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx at Narellan if you want to compare wooden draw systems Ph: 46476322 www.offroadsystems.com.auKeep your powder dry
AnswerID: 25819

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:29

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:29
His aren't wooden, drawes are steel top & base are ply. have them in my GU and they are great also got stainless 50ltr water tank to fit on top & great people to deal with.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 17664

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 22:18

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 22:18
Make ya own and save $1000+
AnswerID: 25855

Reply By: The Moose - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 13:39

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 13:39
Agree with Truckster. You don't really need all those fancy drawer units. Install some shelving and use plastic crates. Works a treat. That way you can build it to suit exactly what you need.
AnswerID: 25898

Follow Up By: Alan H - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 14:20

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 14:20
I agree as well, far too expensive for what they are, and are intended for. I bolted a shelf across the wheel arches in the Defender, fridge bolted down through that. Strong as anything.
Plastic box underneath easy to slide out, and other loose stuff goes in as well.
Next I'll put a couple of shelves in on top of the shelf on the opposite side to the fridge, for carrying extra gear if I need it.
Total cost so far maybe $50.
FollowupID: 17590

Follow Up By: Lyds - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 20:36

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 20:36
I had a steel frame built for the Paj which housed the fridge on a slide, 6 large and 2 medium omni plastic crates, and 2 soft luggage bags. All held in by a couple of high tensile bolts into existing points.

The great thing is it allowed me to get access to the 3rd seat bay; and while it was heavy it didn't weigh a ton so the Mrs and I could move it with a bit of effort.

Wouldn't mind trying something lighter for the next one.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 17614

Sponsored Links