will she make it captain ????

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:43
ThreadID: 6155 Views:2000 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi groovers, next year im planning (with afew mates) to go on my first big (i think) 4wd trip to the simpson.....im so excited lol. i own a 93 2.4 T/D surf (yes i know but dont hit me yet please all you cruiser/patrol users) i have fitted the usual suspects of stuff to it BB, spotties, OME's, 31 x 10.5 Wrangler M/T, 130 ltr aux fuel (total 200ltrs) my own draw system, UHF, roof rack and basket, rear tyre carrier, dual batterys (but no seleniod yet-im getting there) (and a partirdge in a freaking pear tree as well)
in the next few months (minister for war and finance permitting) im going to fit a jerry can holder to the tail gate and also get a rear locker.
my question is this (finally i here you groan with relief) would my truck be able to handle the desert and any other future trips i might make and any sugestions on what else i might be able to fit.
as an asside i koow that alot of people hang s@#t on the surfs cause they break down alot, but in the almost 3 years and a fair bit of bombing around in the bush and mud it has never let me down apart from a few little things that can litterally happen to any car i.e master cylinder and slave and the peddle assembly

thanks in advance
rexy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: F.M. - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:48

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:48
Rex
Anything like yours will make it if prepared right,driven right,and not overloaded.
If you have 200 ltr tank you won't need a jerry.Check the fuel usage page on this site for an estimate.If you have a tank rearward of the back axel,use it first and try not to get across the desert with 90 kg of fuel left.Buy a workshop manual and become familiar with the car.Take it with you.It can help if you or someone in the group has basic mechanical skils anyway.Service it front to back and top to bottom.Renew anything that looks remotely sus.When putting the new fanbelt on check the feel of alt and w/pump bearings.Also any idler bearings.Change all gear oils with quality synthetic.Its expensive but so are gearbox and diff rebuilds.Most of all dont end up too heavy.Load it up with all your gear ,full fuel and stand back and see how it looks.If its down in the bum then either get lighter or beef up the rear suspension,you'l need all the travel you can get.When your totally happy with things just get out there and dooo it ! Its a hoot !
cheers
Mick
PS its also a bloody long way
AnswerID: 25828

Follow Up By: REXY - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:17

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:17
so what you are saying mick is (just double checking here) is NOT to have any more than 90kg to cross the desert because of the weight ??
FollowupID: 17561

Follow Up By: REXY - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:21

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:21
ye gods im an idiot. no mick dont have a coronary on me.i meant should i have no more than 90 kg of FUEL to do the crossing........
FollowupID: 17566

Follow Up By: Mick - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 09:24

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 09:24
If you have tanks to take 200l, take it! You won't need a jerry
FollowupID: 17640

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:56

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 19:56
Rexy your vehicle will cope with no problems. You may have trouble getting over Big Red in a small diesel but otherwisw you'll be fine. Won't need a jerry!
AnswerID: 25831

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:07

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:07
It's breakin op capin!. Rexy, I'tl bleep e it in. Just don't get carried away with bolting on all these goodies just because you can. You want to keep the car as light as possible to lessen the likely hood of over stressing the suspension and clutch. Can't see the need for a jerry, with the LR tank. I'd put extra water in instead. The locker is not really going to be required for that desert trip, but if you want to play in the High country at some stage, then that is where it will come into it's own.Give a lot of thought to the spares you will need to procur (and the weight of them) and spare tyres, tubes or repair ropes. Spare antennae is something often forgotten, and don't forget to burn your paper!
AnswerID: 25832

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 21:51

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 21:51
Rexy.
Sounds like you have most things sorted, I would recomend using the original wheels and tyres as the 31x10.5 will be to wide for the 2.4. extra width tyres need a lot more power in sand because you have to move more sand in front of the tyre. the original tyres will use les fuel and with the correct pressure get you over big red. Have a good time. Eric.
AnswerID: 25853

Reply By: REXY - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:22

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:22
thanks alot for the help guys, ive already gone and purchased a few books on 4wd tips (vic wildmans and a few others) yeah the biggest problem i have is that ive been of the mindset that because ive got space for 200ltrs of fuel i should go out with it full i never stoped to consider that i might not actually need it (i was thining of fuel prices as driving from darwin to sydney i saw $1.30/ltr in some spots ). the jerry can holder that im going to fit (thanks again) will now be for the water jerry as i didnt really want to put that on the roof as well as the second spare and the 9kg gas bottle - actually a question on them- wil the heat of traveling during the day effect the gas bottle while it is stored on the roof ???????

thanks again guys i really apriciate it

rexy
AnswerID: 25875

Follow Up By: Brett - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 22:41

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 22:41
Rexy,
Try to keep the wieght off the back of the car as much as possible. I had a runner for years and found a water bladder that went on the floor behind the drivers and passangers seat the way to go. Try to pack the rear of the car lighter, it makes a big difference.

Cant answer the bottel question as I use fuel burner stoves that run on petrol, diesel or whatever is handy so that I more room.
Cheers
Brett
FollowupID: 17624

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:21

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:21
Carried my gas on roof for 3 weeks in the Gulf (34c) no prob. You will use your 200 ltrs across simpson better to much than not enough. start with tyres at 22 psi and work your way down as needed, did it last year at 22psi in 3 ltr patrol & 18 for big red loaded to hilt. have a good trip.
ps Red flag on poll at front & uhf channel 10 for simpson xing so you can hear oncoming traffic its the simpson channelRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 17718

Reply By: REXY - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:24

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:24
thanks alot for all the help guys ive now got a heap of ideas to go away and think about. ive decided to scap the jerry idea as i found out that i cant just "bolt it on" and yeah thinking now definalty about the water bladder because of the emtier the flatter (spellcheck lol) have a good one guys

cheers rexy
AnswerID: 26161

Reply By: rolux1983 - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:47

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:47
Hi Rex
Just done the simpson east 2 west a week ago,1983 2.2l hilux ex mines drill rod carrier. yours will Sh*t it in with ease.I carried 145ltr of my fuel, 60 ltr of petrol for 2 other cruisers, 20ltr of water, break down box,tent, swags,fridge and did it ok.run 17 psi all round.13 psi for big red. take your time & enjoy the place and you won't flog your car or the scrub to death.
have fun.
AnswerID: 26219

Reply By: pilbaralad - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:39

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:39
Hate to be the only doomsdayer but you need to make sure your cooling system is up to it. The imported surfs don't travel to well up my way (Newman WA) when the going gets tough! The local mechanic who has recovered his fair share of vehicles from the Canning Stock route and Rudall River National Park warned me off getting one when I came to town. If someone else has any experience with the surf in the heat, speak now or forever hold your peace.!!!!
AnswerID: 27056

Sponsored Links