Christie 55amp Battery charger.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:55
ThreadID: 6156 Views:3966 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day one'n'all,
I am hoping that someone can tell me from experience, how long the Christie 55amp battery charger, will run on a tank full of fuel. That is, as being used to charge ,at say, half to threequarter throttle........
By any chance, is anyone looking to sell one.............Only interested if its in good order.
Rowdy...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:43

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:43
One for sale on
www.overlander.com.au/forum/4 sale
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25840

Reply By: paul - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 22:19
Well i got one and just got back from four nights away, Deepwater NP, Baffle Creek and Inskip point. Cannot answer question directly but you may be able to work it out as this, a 94 amp hour battery run down to around 12.06 volts recharged fully (near enough) to a digital reading of 12.63v twice used up about 1 tank of fuel.

noisy little critter but when no-one was around at the NP it rechaged in less than an hour. At Inskip i just went up the road and had a beer and rejigged some lines and whalla it was charged.

And i am sort of but not desparate to keen to trade it in on the bigger model so if you are in brissy or could otherwise be bothered you can get in contact me via this email i suppose. Put Christie charger in the subject so i don't lose it in the trash mail deletions.

If i sell will miss the smaller one, sits perfectly (and safely) behind my driver seat underneath the folded down back seat. Even in a rollover it will not be going anywhere.
AnswerID: 25856

Reply By: Ray - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 17:30

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 17:30
Hi Rowdy,

May have one after Tuesday. Am heading to Brisy and someone is looking at my Les Christie charger on Sunday. If they don't want it I will still be trying to sell it. Will get back to you with all the info you need including whether it's for sale or not after Tuesday. They are a great little unit!! Give me a ring at home on 07 49363006 tomorrow (Saturday) if you want any further info as I won't be logging on until after Tuesday. However can't say if it's sold until I see the guy in Brisy.

Ray
AnswerID: 25911

Reply By: Marty Batman - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 21:51

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 21:51
hope you know they destroy batteries quickly and make one hell of a racket
the camper trailer place we bought it from gave us a refund and he no longer sells them
now have a Honda GXH50 direct coupled to Delco generator limited to 20 amps
this unit is built locally and is quiet and automatically shuts the motor down when the battery is charged
comes complete with tempreture probe that fits inside the battery if you have a lead acid battery
if the battery starts to get to hot the unit reduces the charge amperage by 5 amps
AnswerID: 25940

Follow Up By: Rowdy - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 19:00

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 19:00
This Honda/Delco unit sounds very interesting. I have not heard about them.
Are they sold as a purpose built battery charger..........
If so, I will certainly make some enquiries about them. Are they sold through Honda, or where do you get them from...
And what sort of money are they........
I understand that the christie unit is regulated, so it should not damage the battery. Am I wrong....
Thanks Marty,
Rowdy..........
FollowupID: 17679

Follow Up By: Pete - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:55

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:55
Batman... please explain how they destroy your battery? if this is the case, every Holden and Ford with Bosch alternators must be out there destroying batteries as we sit here.. better go do something about it right away.
They are regulated internally to 14.2V and on the high setting 15V which will not harm a battery for rapid charging purposes. As for temperature probes... have you tried to measure the under bonnet battery temperature on a hot day - i think you would be surprised!
Please do not bag out a good product, you have said you got a refund so keep quiet - there are a lot of happy people out there with the Les Christie charger with a lot of good things to say.. you are by yourself there with your facts mate. The Delco unit sounds good and by all means make a choice if you want to charge a 70 or 100Ah battery at 20A.. do the Maths.

Regards

Pete

FollowupID: 17854

Follow Up By: Mick - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:15

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:15
Hi this is Mick Christie from Christie engineering.
Over the years we have made these chargers we have not yet had 1 complaint, and not from any camper trailer places that you have visited.
Were a family business and like hearing from people and their opinions about our chargers and how we can make a better product. I admit their a bit noisy so why dont you go complain to HONDA, the people who make the engines, and if BOSCH make faulty alternators maybe you should go complain to them.
How about you think about what you write and get your facts straight before you ruin reputations.
Our phone number for anyone who needs advice is 02 9620 1208, we would be happy to talk to anyone who needs help.
FollowupID: 18092

Reply By: paul - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 16:48

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 16:48
I agree with the last post. I have been charging an optima yellow top for 18 months now with my Christie 55 amp charger, it still sits in my lounge at 12.70v for weeks on end. Not quite "destroyed". Sounds like the person with the dud battery reversed the polarity or had a sulphated battery in the first place. Batteries connected to alternators regulate their own current draw, it is absurd to suggest, as is intimated above, that an alternator run from a 50cc unit would destroy a battery when there are tens of thousands of motor vehicles on the road right now with 1300cc engines to 12cylinder diesel trucks with ? ( how many litres big are engines on trucks ?) that happily recharge their batteries with alternators with a significantly more output than a 55amp Bosch alternator. Hell my 3400cc prado is mated to a 90 amp alternator, my battery at the end of that set up is very happy and works fine.
AnswerID: 26258

Sponsored Links