85 hilux front brakes

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 14:34
ThreadID: 6203 Views:1618 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, Need a bit of help. I have an 85 hilux dual cab. Problem is with the front brakes. The left front is locking on with medium pressure applied to the brake pedal. I have changed the brake fluid. Nothing unusual found here. I swapped the front pads felt to right. Still only the front left locking up. I have replaced the seals in both front calipers. I did not find anything unusual there either. None of the caliper pistons were excessivly worn or pitted. Re greased the new rubbers and put it all back together. Still locking up on the front left.

Has anyone struck this before? Does anyone know what the problem might be? Just thought I might ask before I go out and spend the cash on a new master cylinder and or new lines.

sdr00y

PS it is not the original master cylinder. I have replaced that about 7 years ago with a generic type master cylinder. (could not afford a toyota one at the time!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:15

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:15
If you can bleed the lines to the right one Ok and you aint got a sticking caliper, It sounds strange but check the running temp. of the hub and make sure you haven't got a binding wheel bearing (just a thought)
AnswerID: 26095

Follow Up By: sdr00y - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:18

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:18
It happens when cold or warm. Wheel bearing is not noisy at all.

thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 17781

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 18:18

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 18:18
Gday
1. Have you spilt fluid on the disc? The pads soak it up and when hot, it comes out and helps stick things together, to test, swap left for right pads and see if anything changes.
2, spin and check for disc warpage (moving back and forward etween pads)
3 crack in disc
Ps Master feeds both fronts, so its not that
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 26104

Follow Up By: sdr00y - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:16

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:16
Dozer, There has been no spillage of fluid. No leaking either. I have tried swapping left pads to right and right pads to left. That did not change anything (as is written in my original post... but good try!). The gap remains almost the same between the pads and the disk when it is rotated. there is no crack in the disk.

I am aware that the brake master cylinder feeds both front calipers. The only thing left is to take out each brake line to the right hand side and see if they are partially blocked. This would cause the left to lock on because the right hand side is acting "lazy" if you like...
FollowupID: 17780

Sponsored Links