Portable Battery

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 21:08
ThreadID: 6214 Views:1658 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ,
I have just bought a Trailblazer 80L. I do not want to put a Dual Bat system in my GU Patrol. What battery can I purchase( Deep Cycle ) that will run it for 5 days.
Amp draw is say 40 per day.I will be driving for say 2 hrs a day so the fridge can run off the car whilst running.
I am quite happy to buy 2 batteries if required. Also do I need a special charger for the Deep Cycle ?
I have looked around at batteries and it is just a maze and who do you believe.
I hope soemone can offer some genuine comments.
Reason against Dual Bat is I dont keep vehicle's very long so dont want to go to the expense everytime.

Cheers,
JAG.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:40

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:40
Hi Jag, doesnt sound like you need a second battery if you get 2 hrs of recharge in a day. The fridge will not flatten your battery over night. If you are worried about it doing that though, buy one of these cheap 3 in 1 battery packs and use it to power the fridge once stopped for the day.
Good to take in the tent, pump up the mattress, use the light at nite and will even provide a ciggy lite lite!
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 26190

Reply By: geoff - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:50
Hi Jag I don't know much about batterys but I'm in the market for a second battery as well so I went to the battery shop the other day and this is what I was told. A true deep cycle battery wont charge anymore then about 80% on 4x4 they need around 15.2 v a 4x4 is around 14.5 and carry a bleep warranty around 6 months. He said because I will be driving around a couple of hours a day I should be looking at a marine battery they have heavy plates and carry a good warranty and have a good cca.The one he showed me was 80ah with 2 years warranty for $145.
I hope that's been some help

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 26192

Follow Up By: geoff - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:55

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 20:55
Jag just remove the gear when you sell and use it on the next one.

Regards geoff
FollowupID: 17814

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:58

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:58
Hi,
About deep cycle batteries....
1stly a deep cycle battery shouldnt be flattened, you will do damage if dropped below 11.6 volts,2nd dont beleive battery sellers they will try to sell you the most expensive battery available.
3rd a deep cycle battery will not accept a fast charge, because of the way the internal structure is, an if flattened too much, may take many days to revive on a trickle charger with no loads applied.
The best bet is an ordinary cranking battery, sealed if being transported in the vehicle, as they will accept a rapid charge from your alternator, and they are cheaper.
Give us a call at Christie engineering and we can answer any problems about batteries, as we manufacture battery chargers for remote travelling.
02 9620 1208
AnswerID: 26464

Sponsored Links