Hilux Gearbox Problems

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 16:26
ThreadID: 62273 Views:8932 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I have a 93 model ln106, and have recently been having trouble selecting gears. The problem is that there seems to be vagueness in the actual lever itself, no noises or shuddering. The lever seems to move outside of its normal pattern, mainly when selecting 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. It isn' t like this 100% of the time, and once I have gotten found the gear it is all fine, however I would obviously like to deal with it asap.Any ideas on problem/cost etc? ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 17:24

Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 17:24
There's a hilux gearbox thread on overlander at the moment, a bit remote as it's on a 2.7L model bit later than yours, nonetheless you may pick something up

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=57138

If that link doesn't work as a cut and paste job it's under the Techical discussion post of the general forum.
AnswerID: 328431

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 18:31

Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 18:31
Not sure if its the same as your model but the earlier hiluxes had two pins each side where the lever goes into the top of the box.The gear lever pivots on these pins and they have a habit of wearing, especially if you or previous owner was "hard" changing gears.You carnt buy these pins seperate(peened into housing), Toyota want you to buy the complete top cover, about $100.But if you have someone good on a lathe, they are easy to make and then heat the end up and peen into the housing.
To check, pull the rubber boots around the gear lever off and wriggle the lever, you will soon see if their worn.
AnswerID: 328441

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 19:49

Saturday, Oct 04, 2008 at 19:49
Further to Nick's advice, if the pins are not too badly worn, but are loose in the cover, you can peen them lightly to take up any slack, & reduce any movement in them.

Also there is a nylon bush underneath the ball on the lever that wears too, and can make the gearchange sloppy. Replace this & tidy up the pins, and your problem might go away.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 595693

Follow Up By: kevtas - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2008 at 15:48

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2008 at 15:48
Thanks for the advice everyone, I got hold of a reco item with new(threaded) pins, and new bushes etc. All fitted up and now good as new. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 596087

Sponsored Links