Helton for GU Patrol 3.0L TD

Submitted: Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 21:01
ThreadID: 6228 Views:2179 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Installed the Helton Heat exchanger in the Patrol on the weekend. Took around 3 hours, but if I had to do it again could probably do it in half the time. The hardest thing was cutting the heater hoses ! one wrong cut and there goes $140.

This was the only unit that would fit under the bonnet. The Patrol has ABS and a Dual Battery System so room is very scarce. Because the Helton has all the water connections on one side, I managed to install it between the ABS Unit and the Black Steel Plate that has Aircon pipes attached to it. I managed to install it without drilling any holes in the car (I utilised a nut on the body).

The water is not very hot, but warm enough to have a shower with.

Definately worth the $249 !

Regards
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mrdesmo - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:03

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:03
Hi Phil P
Not sure what the Helton looks like, but the Twine we got (sitting in the shed at the mo!) is certainly good enough for hot water.
If you're not getting very hot water, are you trying it once the car has warmed up, with the heater on the dash turned up full? We usually wind up the hand throttle a bit and have to have the heater on about half to two thirds for a nice hot shower...any more and its a bit too hot! The heater control becomes the water temperature control, the hand throttle pumps the hot engine water around the exchange unit a bit quicker..etc etc...I was told if you were to stick the shower head in a bucket of water and recirculate it through the exchange unit, you can get very hot water for the dishes etc...haven't tried that...thats what the kettles for!
Just a thought...
Cheers
AnswerID: 26223

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:46
Sorry, i didnt read your post, i kinda repeated to Phil the same as you told him Regards Michael
FollowupID: 17843

Reply By: Michael - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:43

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:43
Hi Phil, The main problem is that diesels run cooler than petrol engines, and patrol diesels run even cooler than landcruser diesels (thermostat settings i gather). The flow versus temp graphs the manufacturers supply are hardly flattering for diesels so you may have to recycle the water in a bucket to get the temp up. You really need 50 deg at a minimun of 3 litres a minute. On a cold winters night, the temp drop from the shower rose to your body is considerable, so you really do need something close to 50 deg, moreso if you dont have a shower tent to keep the cold off you. Did you try your idle up button yo get some flow through the unit, it makes a hell of a difference to the temperature? Regards Michael
AnswerID: 26231

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 14:56

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 14:56
We have the Twine in our 3.0 ltr works a treat, if water very cold recirculate it for a few minutes as we discovered on our first trip to Vic Alps & turn idle up on.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 26350

Sponsored Links