mobile phone/media watch- explosion

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:42
ThreadID: 6241 Views:1857 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Did anyone see all of media watch last night on the abc .
I missed the start.It was all about the mobile phone blowing up servos(like in the previous link)They contacted all the big fuel companys shell caltex etc and they all said there has never been a fire connected to a mobile phone in Australia ever.
and one of them said they got there info off the net and it was wrong.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hedonist - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 15:19
The transcript is online at: Media Watch

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 26253

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:35

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:35
Several months ago I was told (very abruptly) to switch off my phone (while I was inside the station paying the bill mind you) as its a safety hazzard. I pointed out that how come all the light fittings, refrigeration and other electricals such as computer are not Explosion Proofed items and if there was a build up of fumes in the station proper then he'd (the idot proofed Manager) would not have been there long ago.

Now when outside filling up with petrol what about stray sparks from spark plugs lights etc etc etc not to mention the odd mobile phone being answered.

Urban Myth?? i believe so!

I know what a stray ignition spark can do to a vehicle...just ask my other half she was driving it at the time...insurance co wrote it off! Wow! am I cute
Richard
AnswerID: 26318

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:54
personaly, why take the risk? Static electricity is unpredictable, that is why the fuel tankers connect a "ground" lead before they drop the fuel down the hose. Every wondered why the sign asks you to turn off radio's and phones when entering a blasting area? Same deal with racing car refuelers, and they occasionally get it wrong too! Perhaps the reason they quote 'phones never causing fires' is because they couldn't proove the phone existed in amoungst the charred corpse still smouldering on the tarmac?
AnswerID: 26322

Reply By: JackLivesHere - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 16:23

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 16:23
The reason they ask you turn off your radio etc has nothing to do with static. A radio frequency could likely detonate a non shunted electric primer rigged on a remote firing device.
The firey interviewed said there were never any fires.
AnswerID: 26357

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 19:15
I think that's the best explanation I've heard yet. Well said.
FollowupID: 17980

Sponsored Links