Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 21:19
ThreadID: 6252 Views:1545 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone travelling the Anne Beadell highway between August 11th & August 20th? I am heading that way from Laverton to Coober Pedy on my up to Cape York.Have Wheels Will Travel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 15:01

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 15:01
Just as a matter of info Topcat . I was talking to some terrerists the other day (in York ) and was told the following . Thay were going to come to the west via the Anne Beadell but were asked not to by the local police . It seems that thay are sick of going out to rescue people . I was told that it was quite rough and thay were using more fuel than thay had antiserpated , and so were running short . Also , sum people were turning around and going back becouse of the rufness . Thay went up to ayres rock and down the great centrel rd . Im not trying to put you off , its only what i was told . So saying , we are off up the Connie Sue on saterday to Warbuton , and back vie the Gunnbarrel . Hope you have a great trip and watch out for crocks and i hope you are going up the telegraph line ( been there , dun that , and going back again in another 4 years (long service) .
AnswerID: 26352

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 21:40
Errol,

The eastern end of the Anne Beadell is always badly corrugated. Running lower tyre pressures and taking it easy helps a lot. The latest WEstprint newsletter said the West Aus side of the Anne Beadell was recently graded. Anyway, we're travelling next week, so we'll see who's right!

Have a good trip.
FollowupID: 18005

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 23:13
Hi Phil, are you on VKS-737? Since you will be a week ahead of me I will be listening in for any track condition updates, Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 18018

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 23:48

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 23:48
Topkat,

Yep, Sierra 7231. I'll listen out for any Whiskys following behind! We're actually heading north from Nullabor (3rd Aug) via Cook to Vokes Hill Cnr, then west to Laverton, so won't have any current info for the Coober Pedy end. But it would be pretty easy to Mabel Creek and then well corrugated until past Emu. Then heading to Plumridge Lakes and down to Cocklebiddy and home to Adelaide.
FollowupID: 18019

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:21

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:21
Thanks Phil. We will be leaving Laverton sometime on the 11th of August travelling from Kalgoorlie. Might see you along the way. Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 18025

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 15:58

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 15:58
Phill . Listen out for Whisky 302 , we,re leaving on the 2nd , going to kal , then onto rawlina and turn north onto the connie sue . Be calling a mate in Perth about 5,30 to 5,45 each night to let him know where we are . We may cross tracks quite close at neail junction . Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 18063

Reply By: Member - Greg - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 14:27

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 14:27
yes the eastern side is very corrugated but the grader hade been all the way to the WA border so the west is great.
AND there is now a road house on the Anne Beadell!!!!!! Right where the aboriginal business Rd cuts across the track (above the Tjuntjuntjarra Community). Was at Neales recently and met the builders who were retunring to Albany after completing the job. Not sure if you need to book for fuel (and don't have the phone no) but it would be worth following up. We heade south down the Connie Sue so didn't take a look.
What next - they might as well seal it! Len would turn over I suspect.

GregC
AnswerID: 26433

Sponsored Links