info on bamaga & surrounds please...

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 18:30
ThreadID: 6266 Views:3186 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Friend & I are thinking of camping in camp sites, we 're flying into Bamaga, and perhaps camp at Loyalty or Seisa sites. Is there mobile phone reception in these areas, are there access to ATM (banking) and mossies & sandflies (are they a real bother at nite) and how is the fishing, ie what type of rig to bring along, eg fly-fishing, lures fishing, beach/jetty fishing or game-reels. Since we are flying in and dont have wheels, is transport available if not are car hire expensive? Due to go there in mid/late august to do some fishing and thaw out. Any information or suggestions would be a great help. Thanks

Cheers
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 20:41
IanHs,
I don't know of any hire cars in Bamaba, there would probably be a taxi but don't know how reliable (probably be easer to hitch a lift). I usually stay Loyalty Beach but if you have no transport stay at Seisa that way you can walk every where. Fishing is off the jetty. You fish with a heavy hand line 40Kg. You must use heavy line so you can haul the fish in quick and not get cut off on the piles. For bait you jig for livies at the jetty. Phone is only CDMA and mossies and sandflies are no problem. Can not recall any ATM's. Do a day trip to Thursday Island, they leave from the jetty.

Have a great trip

john
AnswerID: 26383

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 20:52
Ian you can camp at loyalty ph 07 4069 3372 its a bit quieter than seisa . You can get taxis also you can hire a 4x4 ring dan at loyalty and ask him for the phone #.
There is a atm at bamaga in the super market also at umagico super market .
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
Eric 02 42 9434 96
Pete 07 4094 1745Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 26384

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 21:55
Good Day Big Eric (or I here not so big now) I hear you are fadeing away to a shadow, good on you I wish I could do the same.
What's this I here I might not see you in a couple of weeks?
PS. I would not like to stay at Loyalty with out a car, but yes if I had transport.
Say g'day to Janett and the kids

Regards Big John , Deb & "The Gnome"

Did you mis the "Gnome" this year?
FollowupID: 18010

Reply By: IanHs - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 14:58

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 14:58
Thank you John & Eric for the reponses.
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 26617

Sponsored Links