New Guinea

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:19
ThreadID: 6288 Views:1652 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi any one been to New Guinea, seeing its one of our closest neighbors, we are thinking of going Barra fishing, and sightseeing for a bit, anybody travelled there or know of any good destinations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 08:57

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 08:57
I lived there for two years in the early eighties. It was pretty rough and ready then. Now I believe it is one of the most dangerous places to visit. There are some remote areas that remain reasonably safe, but all involve going through Port Moresby. Despite that, it is a magnificent place. I lived in the islands to the north of the mainland. The fishing and scuba diving were excellent. There is no law and order as such, and violence and crime abound. Complete breakdown of government could occur at any time.
AnswerID: 26486

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:38

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:38
I was in Moresby before and after they got their inderpendance, and the change was quite dramatic, now not safe/advisable to walk down the street on your own.

White ex pats live a life behind high wire fences and even then are not totaly safe from breakins.

In the highlands it's a little better. There is good fishing/shooting in the Sepik regin, but best through a safari guide setup.
AnswerID: 26492

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:47

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:47
Rape and revenge killings are still a fairly common practice there.
Law and order is no virtually existant. The PNG Prime Minister appearing on a TV interview intoxicated a few years back, should tell you something about the place. The is a mod there called the RASCALS, they rule by machette and guns. 50 years ago they were in the stone age and they haven't progressed much passed that.
High profile residences are surrounded by razor wire and are guarded by 'local' security guards. The houses have a 'safe room' (bit like the movie) where you barricade yourself in doing a home invasion (probably no good if they burn your house down).
Did I get paid to go there - Yes
Would I go fishing/site seeing there - not on your nelly, unless it is with a large guided groupKeep your powder dry
AnswerID: 26493

Follow Up By: Member - Shawn - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:49

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:49
oops-thats, virtually non existantKeep your powder dry
FollowupID: 18103

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:35

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:35
Well I did at least 5 trips to PNG in a 4 year period in the early ninetys, each trip was 3 weeks and I counted every day untill I could put my bum in the seat of the big red kangaroo. Once inside I could look out and finally feel safe.

During my last stint there a friend of mine, his wife and child where killed in a so called revenge. I would never go back.

But the country is beautifull and tropical. Rabaul is a heaven on earth, they don't no what they have got in the way of revenue from tourism if they can get there heads into the 21 Century. They were still canibals there in the early 1930 and in many inland areas some tribes have not seen a white man.

JD Life is to good to be dead.
AnswerID: 26503

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:15

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:15
Yes, Have to agree 100%.
Sad, but true- unless you are keen on real adventure...like real dangerous adventure, don't contemplate it. Probably not as dangerous as Bagdad at the moment- but I wouldn't consider either.
A good friend of a friends son (22yrs old) was killed there about five years ago- the motive was simply housebreaking/robbery.
There are plenty of safer places to go. IMHO
FollowupID: 18120

Reply By: zigglemeister - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:16

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:16
Come to Vanuatu instead, friendliest people on earth, especially if you're prepared to go to some of the more out of the way places. I feel safer here than back in Oz. Am not a fisherman myself but I understand there's plenty of it.
Tim Z (Not affiliated in any way with anyone in the tourism industry :-))
Tanna Island, Vanuatu
AnswerID: 26539

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 20:46

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 20:46
I lived there for 3 years in the early 90's and many of my friends have also lived there and some even born there.

Its a fantastic country that has gotta be seen.

But the culture is VERY DIFFERENT to ours and it is possible to get in real trouble if you are stupid.

Sean
AnswerID: 26985

Reply By: Graeme - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:45

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:45
I was working there for 5 years in the 80s and for a period in the 90s. I went back recently and is the most dangerous place on earth, yet the most beautiful.
I would think VERY CARFULLY going there, especially if you have not been to a third world country before.
If you do decide to go, do it with a group tour to the Milne Bay area.
Best of luck!!
AnswerID: 27227

Sponsored Links