Turbo 350 conversion

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:49
ThreadID: 6302 Views:3133 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Does anyone out there in forum land know anyone who makes an adaptor kit to adapt a Turbo 350 gearbox to a Rangie 5 speed transfer case, marks don't make one, any other options???
I'll take this opportunity to thank all those who submitted answers to my last post about converting my Rangie "project" over to a Chev 350, on the advice of others I'm now getting the cooling sorted out and I've also decided to forget the LT77 5 speed box option, as optimistic as I am after last weekends rumble in the mud I don't think the box I presently have installed is going to last out the "asthmatic" Rover 3.5 never mind a Chev 350. The quality of the answers in this forum is exceptional / invaluable. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:26

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:26
People,
Please don't worry about this post, I've since found out I can't do this due to physical dimensions so I'm looking at other options, a Turbo 400 is out becuse of it's physical size so I'm looking at a Turbo 700 or something else, all to difficult today so I'm taking some anti depression pills in the shape of a beer later later on and I will have a re think, anybody want to buy a Turbo 350 gearbox? Bugger..... Nissan's are so much easier to work with as are LC's I suspect.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 26520

Follow Up By: Tony - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:38

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:38
Can you make it fit with a body lift?
FollowupID: 18140

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 15:00

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 15:00
Tony,
I've gone down the track of trying to get the old girl over the pits and doing it "legally", I've already lifted the suspension 50 mm so if I lift the body another 50 mm my 10 year old is going to need a trampoline to get in, never mind my wife, I have the inlaws over at present and my mother inlaw is struggling to get in now, no comments thanks, she is one of the nice mother in laws you find under a Xmas tree, LOL. Anyway I wanted to try and do the mods without lifting the body, and creating a legal battle, getting lane change tests done etc etc.
My next challenge is to mount my auto tune antenna between the spare wheel and the back window on my GQ, this will be a damn site easier than the Rangie problem I have. At present I'm cleaning all the mud a little stones out of the disc calipers after last weekends mud fest, despite everything the rangie is an awsome machine when pushed. As usual my opinion only......
Thanks for the suggestion.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 18161

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:54

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:54
have seen Chrysler 727? series boxes fitted to early rangerovers, they use these boxes with hemi 360+ CUbic inch motors so should handle anything the chev can throw at it!
good luck finding something, it's been done my brother had a rangie with one in it they put a shift kit in the valve body to suit and it worked a treat!
FollowupID: 18190

Reply By: nugget - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 20:28

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 20:28
tyn
Old jack is right. Early 4 door Range Rover factory automatics where the Torqueflite 727's before the introduction of the ZF 4 speed auto's. I've seen a Chev in a Rangie bolted up to this transmission. They are bullet proof. I have just been on the Marks adapters website www.marks4wd.com and according to that they do make an adapter to fit the LT230 transfer case up to a turbo 400 auto, so check it out.
Cheers
AnswerID: 26635

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 20:44

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 20:44
Nugget,
Thanks for the reply, I've been in touch with Marks and I've spoken to them about the conversion kit for the Turbo 400, no problem, somewhere between finding out about the the T400 I ended up with a T350, don't ask me how I will never tell you the truth about it, I'm embarrased. I was hoping to get a kit for the T350, not going to happen so I'll sell the T350 now and go along with the T400 plan, thanks for the suggestion.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 18229

Reply By: nugget - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:58

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:58
Martyn,
Just another tip, you might also want to consider running a 1.003:1 high range transfer case ratio as used in the 727 torqueflite auto Rangies. Your transfer case high range is 1.222:1. This will give you far better on road cruising speed without reving the box off the Chev due to not having an overdrive. I seem to recall that you reside in W.A. so you could try Rovacraft or Jordan Rovertech. Low range will remain unaffected.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 26724

Sponsored Links