toyota 3f engine

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:10
ThreadID: 6321 Views:20773 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi could anyone please help me I've had a early 80 series with a 3f engine for about a year now and very happy with it except for it's lack of power.
I run it on both lpg & ulp and the power out put is the same.
Has any one had any luck with cams or extractors to get more out of it

Cheers
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryn - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:51

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:51
Andy get the compression checked first as many Toyota petrol engines burn the valves on lpg. Also if their are any other problems like worn rings etc this will show them up. A compression test is one of the easiest tests to perform on a petrol engine and any good mechanic should get a good idea of the state of the engine. Try to find one who works on 4wd's most of the time.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 26610

Follow Up By: andy - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 21:21

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 21:21
Thank Darryn Im a mechanic by trade so i checked all this out when I got it. Head had been off about 6 months before i got it

Thanks Andy
FollowupID: 18230

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 13:12

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 13:12
Andy

I used to own a toyota with a 3f. petrol/gas.

I put extractors and a 2.5 inch free flow exhaust with a turbo muffler and the difference was fantastic.
Cost around $450 from memory

Especially noticeable was how quitely and smoothly the engine idled. It gave me more positive feel throughout the rev range and the engine loved it. Also of value was that pre the change, she didn't like anything more that 110km/h. after, she cruised on 110 much easier.

Power was up slightly but you still get more go out of the petrol than the gas. I use to always use petrol when in the boggy stuff. Gas for highway use.

As for fuel consumption, I didn't notice any real difference.

I would definately recommend it.

If you do, let me know what you think.
AnswerID: 26613

Reply By: Member - Michael - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 15:27

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 15:27
I have an FJ62 with a 3f in it I fitted extractors and a bigger exhaust good results worth the money to do.Genie do a kit for mine i assume they do one for yours application.If its a carby model Perth Carbys in Osborne Park do a mod opening up the main jet and bringing in the secondarys earlier.Gave much better response low down and did not noticibly change fuel consumtion.Gotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
AnswerID: 26621

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 18:00

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 18:00
Hi
There is a cam that you can get for the 3f, but unless you need to replace whats in there, dont go that far.
I remember reading about doing these up in a mag some time ago, and shaving 60 thou gives you 9.5/1 compression, match porting the extractersand inlet helps aswell, opening up the bowl behind the valves etc.
If you dont want to go that far, electronic ignition and extractor/sports system do wonders.
Then again, for 1200 dollars, a 1uzfe would fit in there nicely :-)
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 26680

Sponsored Links