Electric off road brakes

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 12:23
ThreadID: 6333 Views:2697 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone advise on the best brakes for a camper trailer electric off road magnets or disc drumm over ride brake such as the KK camper it seem that most use the elec can they get damage by getting wet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:49

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:49
10 Para

I tow a camper trailer, fully loaded it is about 1 tonne, behind a GU. The trailer has simple drum over ride brakes that have given reliable service for the last 7 years. They are easy to maintain and service and do the job acceptably. Mine have been under water countless times, they have been dragged through sand adn mud and bounced over rocks. They have also stood unattended for monhs when I have been stuck at home.

The only problem I have had was snapping the cable after a couple of very big stops. Replaced with a boat trailer winch cable that I picked up in the hardware store in Weipa for less than $20

Keep it simple
Duncs
AnswerID: 26659

Follow Up By: Geoff - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:43

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:43
I agree.
The best brakes are the ones that will work every time.
Cheers
FollowupID: 18240

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:11

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:11
10 para,
I have electric brakes fitted to my camper trailer, my camper has been through creeks and the usual rubbish you encounter in the north of Australia. Like anything mechanical if you don't look after your vehicle or trailer, then you are only looking for trouble.
Another benifit of (the brand I use anyway) electric brakes is that they can be used inderpendently of the tow vehicle, by using their own electronic hand control, this can be used as a stabilising method when going down steep dirt tracks.
As you say most people use them and you don't hear of many hassles so must be ok!
AnswerID: 26670

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:57

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:57
Electric brakes don't mind getting wet at all, (they won't work well when actually wet, surprise- surprise) but will rust badly eventually if dunked in salt water.... fresh water is no drama.
I've had override drums, override discs, and electric drums. The pick- they all have advantages and disadvantages, depends on use. I would probably rate the electric drums as the best system though, and electric discs would be better- but very expensive! (they are actually hydraulic disks with an electric "pump" to supply pressure- hence the cost.)
AnswerID: 26736

Reply By: Paul from Adventure Camper Trailer Hire - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:27
I have to agree with the reply of keep it simple .
I run overide drum brakes and find them very reliable and yes easy to maintain .
Therefore is the added expense worth it in the end ?
Probably not .

AnswerID: 27759

Sponsored Links