Night temperatures in the Red Centre

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 13:58
ThreadID: 6334 Views:1552 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a short trip to Uluru in mid November. Plan to camp as much as possible, but as a complete novice from the UK, am concerned about nighttime temperatures being far to hot to sleep. Does it cool down much at night given that it's in the desert? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: StephenF - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:11

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:11
Non,

Go to http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_015527.shtml

November average maximum temp is about 34C and minimum is about 17C, which would indicate that the average temp through the night would be about 20C. Sounds quite pleasant to me, but being a pom you may disagree!

Stephen.
AnswerID: 26657

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:19

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:19
The locals in Central Australia don't go camping from mid November to mid March as temperatures could be suffocating. Shrugging this advice off we tried it in February and at 2am it was still 32 C. Lesson learned. But you may get away with cooler weather during the latter half of November. Every season is different.

In and around Alice Springs and Uluru(Ayers Rock) the country side is definitely not desert. It may have dry spells from time to time but the vegetation supports a thriving cattle industry. There is the Simpson Desert 300km to the east of Alice and the Gibson Desert about 500km to the west. Of course this part of Australia is not going to look like the rolling green country of England and maybe to you it might seem like a desert.

Enjoy your trek to the Red Centre.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 26671

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:19

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:19
gday willem is that photo around robe area

steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 7 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
FollowupID: 18252

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 18:41

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 18:41
Hi Steve,

Yes, pic was taken at the start of the beach run at Little Dip Conservation Park. We visited out of season and had the place to ourselves. A beaut spot.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18305

Reply By: Slammin - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:49

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:49
G'day Non, As a local I find the temperatures great for camping, there's always somewhere to swim, but if it's green keep your head above water! I would suggest you look at a breeze tent, or a tent that is mainly mesh & don't use the fly, look at shorts, maybe a sheet for the wee hours, for sleeping. Always pack a sleeping bag and a minimum of warm clothes in case the weather changes.
My concern would be more the fly's at that time of year, we find it best to look at cooking a bit after dark 8.30ish from memory, by the way it gets dark now at about 7ish. And have a good supply of aerogaurd etc. Get a good flynet (for your head), there is nothing worse than trying to change a tyre or similar while trying to swat or shake the fly's out of your ears, eyes, nose and mouth }:( Alternatively grow long hair! (seriously tho it does work). We try to organise to have lunch while driving.
Plus all the usual, heaps of water, drink even if you're not thirsty. Sunscreen & save walks for the morning and afternoon. Try to take shade if possible and a comfy fold up chair.
The summer months are great as it is the time to see the desert areas in their reality. Nothing is crowded and everyone has that bit more time to chat. December thru to March can have big dumps of water, look for cyclones around Broome that will send rain inland.
Have a great trip and of course keep on posting if u have any q's
AnswerID: 26722

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:54

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:54
Slammin, good point about the rain. Around 11 Nov 98 (I bought a poppy in Alice) saw the Todd in flood, and all the gorges flowing furiously. A few days later temps were back in the 40s.
FollowupID: 18267

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 18:48

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 18:48
Where do you live, Slammin?

Hey, there is nothing wrong with flies. Good protein supplement :-)))

They say that if you see the Todd flood 3 times in a year you will stay in Alice forever. Well, thats the theory. It happened in the time we were there(3 years) and we had a very pleasant sojourn in the Alice but I wouldn't want to live there again :-(

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18306

Follow Up By: Slammin - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:20

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:20
Yep Willem and all, the territory is a paradise, let's hope that C.Martin can keep it that way. Any where with open speed limit areas has to be a thinking persons dream.
We are 250k west of Alice in Papunya.
Also the NPWS is becoming a joke in some respects, yes they do have to balance on a fine line and by and large they do a good job buuuuut recently a local bloke wanted to be buried within a national park and he/they had a NPWS knockback but C.Martin and co. reversed the decision and from what I've heard it would of been a disgrace for it not to of happened. So nerhhhh!
FollowupID: 18341

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:43

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:43
Slammin,
There is some very nice country in your neck of the woods. Have also spent a bit of time exploring many nooks and crannies in the West Macdonnells where the tourists never get to. There are some fascinating places.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18344

Reply By: jules - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 16:43

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 16:43
I love the Territory - sorry - apropos nothing - just had to tell someone!!!!
jules
AnswerID: 26770

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 19:11

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 19:11
Jules,

I spent 20 years of my life in the Territory and I reckon that it was the best time of my life. Started my 4x4 exploring up in the north and managed to see the places before the tourist masses found it and the Parks & Wildlife people wrecked it !!

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18309

Sponsored Links