1hz fuel screw adjustment

Submitted: Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 19:42
ThreadID: 6362 Views:16688 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
my turbo installation instruction book states to adjust the fuel screw 'in' 1\4 - 1\2 a turn, another install to a friends vehicle and the instructions say turn 'out' the same. My engine does not blow any smoke and i hope this is a good thing??
Cheers
Tonyshe said you're
not going
down there with
me in here!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: haze - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:15

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 21:15
thats ok for the instruction book, but your going to have a hell of a time getting rid of that little sleeve spot welded to the screw. I know, you can remove it and take off the flat washer (will give you an extra turn) but then will probably leak fuel out. The correct procedure for turbo technology is for additional fuel (at the injector) to be proportionate to turbo boost. I discovered with an ARB turbo on a 2h motor smoke control was a nightmare - heaps of grunt, but not good to follow. At the time I lived in Bathurst (nsw) Adjust the the pump for 2400ft. ASL and away she went. Down to the coast at the weekend and all up the s. As the 1hz is set up they blow heaps of smoke anyway ( have derated mine 3/4 turn out, no smoke and oil stays much cleaner) so reckon could be ok for 5/6 psi boost. A dyno check would be the go, but watch ( or listen) to those big end bearings, they do have a reputation. Good luck anyway.
Cheers, Mike.
AnswerID: 26789

Reply By: Member - Russell - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:50

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 22:50
Not an expert on this but here's my two bobs worth;
1HZ - definitely turn "in" (clockwise) for more fuel. I would suggest only an 1/8 turn at a time, then road test. When theres too much smoke, go back 1/8.
Yes, 1/8 of a turn is hard to judge but the increments should be small. If I remember rightly, 1/4 to 1/2 turns are big steps on that pump.

Regards
Russell
AnswerID: 26807

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:12

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:12
Hi,
More fuel should be screwed in, opposite to what you think!
I worked for west end diesel for a while, turning the screw a certain amount of turns means nothing, its just a benchmark. some pumps only require turning slightly compared to others that may need a full turn to get the exact same delivery rates from your pump.
Flatten the throttle to the floor, if huge black smoke is seen when the initial puff has gone, back it off.
You should see a small amount of light smoke when its flat to the floor boards.
Or ring west end diesel for more acurate info!
FollowupID: 18445

Sponsored Links