Great Alpine Rd

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 637 Views:1778 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We intend to tour Victoria and S A in Feb/ March and would like to travel the Great Alpine Rd from wangaratta to Bairnsdale and then lakes entrance.
Can anyone advise re possibility/advisability of towing a van 14ft along this road.
Thanks in anticipation Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith - Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00
Ray, I plan to travel the Great Alpine Road from Bairnsdale heading north about mid March. I understand that the road is now sealed all the way and suitable for vans....but some care required. My van is 20' towed by a 80 series. Caravans are not permitted on the road during the winter months. Enjoy the trip!!!
AnswerID: 1746

Reply By: Mike Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00
Ray, we did this trip in Nov last year. We towed a Kimberly Kamper with a 99 petrol Jackaroo. The road is all sealed and first class. The only part which was dodgy, was going up Mt Hotham, as it is very steep, narrow and windy. It was also snowing quite heavily and blowing a gail for the top third. Once up there it widens to a magnificent H/way all the way to Omeo, where we turned north on the wild and basic Omeo "Highway". The scenery along the way is beautiful, especially in snow and we just loved Dinner Plain. Also encountered one of the friendliest campgrounds on our trip at Omeo. It's basic but very clean and in a magnificent spot in the valley floor. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1755

Reply By: michelle - Saturday, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:00
we towed a 17.5 jayco poptop with a 3.5 manual pajerio with no trouble it was a great drive and
the kids loved it there is some great camping spots to.
AnswerID: 2125

Sponsored Links