DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 16:57
ThreadID: 6376 Views:2097 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am working on a route using DAST to go from Melbourne to Wilpena Pound in the southern part of the Flinders Ranges in SA. However I cannot actually find Wilpena Pound in DAST. Where WP should be there is a town called Sliding. And then nearby there is Sliding Rock. Does anyone know if that is actually Wilpena Pound?

Thanks in advance

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 17:57

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 17:57
Hi petprass,

Sliding Rock is an old abandoned mine site just to the east of Beltana, another ghost town which lies just of the main road between hawker and Leigh Creek.
The mine site would be about 80km in a direct line to the north of Wilpena Pound.

If you look for Hawker on your map then you should find Wilpena pound around 55km(by road) north of the town.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 26849

Reply By: StephenF - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 21:57

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 21:57
Peter,

Yes, that's Wilpena. I think that Sliding Rock was the original name of the property in the Pound. The Chalet is at the end of the marked road leading past "Sliding Airport" (31.531 S 138.603 E).

Stephen.
AnswerID: 26885

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 00:03

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 00:03
Stephen

Couldn't find any reference to Sliding Rock near Wilpena on my Topo map. It is interesting that those other maps would show something that was totally out of date. Normally Topo maps show ruins as such. Where can I get to see the Discover Australia Maps?

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18429

Follow Up By: StephenF - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:02

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:02
Willem,

Sliding Rock isn't on my Auslig 250k maps either, but I remember reading about it some time ago in a book about the history of the Flinders Ranges. I'll check it at the library next time.

Discover Australia maps are sold by Magellan on CD for use with their GPS receivers. You can only see them by buying the product ($250) or knowing someone who has it.

It's not surprising to see GPS maps out of date or just plain wrong. They are not produced to the same standards as, for example, Auslig maps.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 18455

Follow Up By: StephenF - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:17

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:17
More info (from the Net, where else)...

As Willem said, there is an old Sliding Rock copper mine near Beltana. There is also a feature called Sliding Rock in the gorge which leads into Wilpena Pound. It is literally a large flat sloping rock.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 18456

Follow Up By: petprass - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:43

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:43
Thanks Stephen,

Those co-ordinates you gave me put Wilpena Pound in the exact spot that I guessed was WP - but on DAST it is called Sliding.

DAST is a very good map of the whole of Aust - providing all streets, roads, highways, freeways (just like in a street directory) and most of the major 4wd tracks. However there are a few problems with the location of some towns which we (the users of DAST) are advising Magellan so that they can fix them in future upgrades.

Once again thanks Stephen and to Willem as well.

Peter
FollowupID: 18541

Sponsored Links