new prado

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 23:53
ThreadID: 6393 Views:2039 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got any info about the new Prado and all its super duper traction enhancement gadgets? or is it just more marketing bull***T?
Cheers
Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:39

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:39
I believe it's pretty good, but you have to buy the top spec model to get it, which puts me out the door. For my situation it's far better and cheaper to stick with a lower spec car without all the BS and fit a detroit locker/LSD at both ends.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 26921

Follow Up By: ray - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 23:23

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 23:23
Thanks Russell and Yarda, it still gets back to the nut behind the wheel, not the nut on the wheel, doesn't it? Afte all the electronics and servos clap out you're always back to the good old garden variety diff. At least I know how they work!

Regards
Ray
HJ75
FollowupID: 18523

Reply By: yarda - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:46

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:46
Ray, from what i can tell, it's very similar to the mitsu system , all they are doing is using the abs system to manipulate torque transfer and brake individual wheels. As one of the recent forby mags test on a pajero found, repeated low traction hill climbs resulted in the abs servo motors carking it and losing all traction control. Stick with real systems- lsd's lockers etc , not efforts to make nuffies drive to the snowfields easier... Brad
AnswerID: 26931

Reply By: EvIlBoYsPaWnEd - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:48

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:48
Review of the month @ the nrma site worth a read. http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/index.shtml
AnswerID: 26932

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 13:31

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 13:31
Check out he Kw figures in the latest Aust 4X4 Monthly.
Prado 3L TD - 96Kw
Terrible compared to the other diesel offerings.
OK if you want petrol though.
AnswerID: 26937

Reply By: pilbaralad - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 15:20

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 15:20
Ray - There are plenty of free reports on various websites, just do a few searches. I have done extensive reading and as a result I am buying the 3l turbo diesel GXL, pick up next week. I live in outback WA (Newman).

Oskar - Mate there's a little bit more to the raw kw figure a manufacturer quotes. It's no good having bucket loads of kw's if they are not in a rev range that makes them usable. Each vehicle will have different uses, ie towing, highway, around town. I have been driving the previous Prado with my work and found the torque sufficient for extended trips up through the Kimberly, at high speeds on the highway and all at fuel consumption that would make a lot of 4wd enthuisiasts jealous. If you look at the torque range curve for the new prado diesel it is flatter across the rev range making it more usable than a more steep curve, even though others may be 20% more for the same size engine. Another point to consider with other manufacturers squeezing those extra kw's out of the engines, how long will they last?

AnswerID: 27043

Sponsored Links