Things I've Heard about Cape York

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:41
ThreadID: 6394 Views:2571 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Was talking to a recent visitor to the Cape and he told me that a few things would be different when I visit again next year.
1. Pajinka Wilderness Lodge is now a vandals paradise - apparently it has all but been totalled by vandalism etc since it went bankrupt following the collapse of Ansett and subsequent poor management decisions. This is a pity because it used to have one of the best buffets anywhere in Qld.
2. The Laura pub has been burnt down - apparently this happened some time ago (18 mths?) and no move has been made to rebuild. Pity this was a great watering hole and it was an excellent chance to catch up with some of the locals and get some intelligence on conditions on the Cape.
3. Apparently there was a burnt out shell of a Patrol at the Dulhunty campsite - the word has it that the owner had his 3 way fridge running on gas in the back and decided to top up his fuel (petrol) tank from his jerries - the rest is history and the word has it that he is still in a serious condition in a Brisbane hospital (can't confirm this though). There has got to be a moral to this story.....................
I guess nothing stays the same but from my viewpoint I will miss Pajinka and the Laura pub.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 16:06

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 16:06
Patrol 22 the patrol was a 60 and last I hear the person was in a bad way .
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 26953

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:39

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:39
Hi Guy's,the owner of the 60’s name is Tommy. He's a very experienced outback traveler and normally extremely safety conscience…..Shows how a moment of distraction can end in disaster. The result was burns to 30% of his body. He was released from Brisbane hospital lasts Saturday after 5 weeks and several skin grafts. Fortunately he is making a slow but good recovery.

I’ll be visiting him this weekend and am curious to find out exactly what happened. I’ll pass on any learning’s

Cheers
Alex

AnswerID: 27019

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:24

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:24
Thanks for the update Alex. Please give my best wishes to Tommy when you see him and wish him a speedy recovery. I don't know him but no one deserves this sort of injury. You're right - it only takes a fleeting moment of distraction for disaster to strike.
Regards
Pete
FollowupID: 18594

Sponsored Links