Landcruiser 80 series suspension

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 640 Views:12215 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me some advice on the most suitable spring shockie set up for my 1996 HZJ80 Std 'cruiser.I currently have OME.springs and shocks but the ride is very harsh.The vehicle is used regularly for off road camping trips, with a trip to the Kimberley and Gibb River Road planned for July this year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:00
Ken,It is a very interesting question. We have tried a few different spring setups mind you only a could in a leaf sprung vehicle and one major change in the coil sprung vehicle. We have fitted a set of the Lovell's Platnium Springs and Bilstien shocks. From our expierence in the bush we have not had a more comfortable ride and better ground clearance with this combination. If you can afford this system then it is worth the money.You feel very secure in the vehicle with these shocks see Vehicle Setup under Hots topics for the full write up on this spring shock combination.Happy trailsDavid
AnswerID: 1728

Reply By: jeremy - Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00
The above set up is a great system for the 80 Ser and as they say well worth the money !...... but my personal experience is that its better suited to more extreme off road work and you will sacrafice your normal ride around town ! I would go with a raised after market coil which will lift you about 40ml (or you can get a standard height!) Now the Shocks are whats doing you all the work !...... you will need to a good foam Cell shock to give you the best all round performance they have a very soft recoil and a firm out action which will handle all your bumps and bangs a harsh road will throw at you and still get a graet on road ride ! Billies are a great shock but you will notice it very firm ride ! Pop ito your closest Opposite Lock store for a quote on Tough Dog by 4Way Suspension or another great foam cell if you can afford them is Rancho ! Good Luck !
AnswerID: 1741

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00
Had a similar problem- Just fitted a set of (Standard-Red ) KONIS ... to standard springs, and am delighted with the the result... taught, and firm but with plenty of 'give' when called upon, haven't been Outback with them yet, but can imagine they will be a huge improvement...
FollowupID: 582

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00
Having run 60 series Cruisers for many years, I went to an 80 series about 8 years ago. Ran with the original springs and shockies for a while then changed them for Koni Adjustables. (I had ridden with a friend in his 80 with Bilstiens and thought it a bit hard!) I thought Konis were just great, though disconnecting them to make adjustments was always a pain and only done on a trip by trip basis. Couple of years ago I change the Cruiser for a HZJ Std (got fed up with the tailgate and fuel consumption on the petrol Cruiser!) This time I went for Lovell Springs with 50 mm lift, and Rancho 9000 adjustables. Now I think I have the best! I find I can stop at the side of the road and adjust them in moments and find I do this several times on any trip, one setting for the road, another when we get off-road but still loaded, then having set up camp and want to do a little exploring, change the settings again. Down side is the price, but if it makes the whole thing more enjoyable, I think it is worth it!
AnswerID: 1761

Sponsored Links