Splitfire vs K&N cotton fibre air filters

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:29
ThreadID: 6428 Views:3013 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - K&N are obviously a well-known brand, but does anyone know anything about 'Splitfire' - they suggest that their cotton filters are better (of course) and presumably they are cheaper. Cotton strand filters make be nervous for off-road use, as there doesn't seem to be much to them when you holde them up to the light (although I realise the oil film is supposed to catch everything and they are used for off-road comp use). I've always thought foam would be safer but there are quite a few negative comments about them on this site. I guess I'm struggling to see how a thin film of oil stretched across broadly-spaced cotton fibres can let plenty of air through, but no unwanted crap...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 17:23

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 17:23
Anything wrong with OEM paper filters?
AnswerID: 27064

Reply By: Dave - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:20

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:20
Hi Pathfinder,
I fitted a K&N filter to my Jeep several years ago and can honestly say that the airflow and performance has increased.
I have also noticed that since I fitted the K&N there has not been a fine layer of white film (dust) in the inlet pipe from the cleaner airbox as there was with the OEM paper filter.
This was especially evident after travelling through bulldust in the Flinders Ranges and Deserts up north SA.

I also tried the foam Finer filter prior to the K&N and found that it restricted airflow too much so I returned it.

K&N is the go,

Regards,

AnswerID: 27086

Reply By: The Moose - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 13:41

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 13:41
As Truckster says - stick with OEM paper filters. Just try this exercise. Cut one of those fancy ones up the middle so you can stretch it out and then do the same with one of the paper elements. You'll find that the paper ones have a much greater surface area with which to trap the dust. That's why when travelling in dusty conditions those oiled up after market ones quickly become coated in dust. What do you think all that dust does to the airflow?
I can't comment on the cotton ones but your comments seem valid.
With the foam ones you need to keep an eye on them because over time the foam deteriorates and needs replacing.
Also people use that furphy about being able to quickly change the outside band on a foam filter but it's just as easy to give the paper one a few quick taps to dislodge enough dust to keep you going. If you can blow them out all the better. And the Toyota ones (and I presume others) can be washed many times over. So it's not as if you need to replace them all that often.
AnswerID: 27161

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 23:32

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 23:32
IMHO, cra-p,

the K&N filters (cotton) are the same corrugated construction as paper ones. They probably have more surface area. And as stated above, the inside of the intake is spotless.

More airflow, more power, better fuel econ, cleaning is a once a year prospect (unless you are in REALLY dusty conditions) and even that is more regular than recommended (or required).

So good the US military chose to use them to filter the air intakes of Apache Attack Helicopters in Iraq, good enough for me.
FollowupID: 18693

Reply By: jaycee - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:41

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:41
Totally agree with Truckster. I have run with the K&N filter but found that it tended to let more dust through than the paper one no matter how well oiled it was. Running a diesel i decided that the std unit was a better bet at keeping the dust out and i change it regularly with a spare one that i keep while the other one get washed.
AnswerID: 27190

Sponsored Links