Patience Well

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 19:42
ThreadID: 6432 Views:2035 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if Patience Well has been rediscovered? If so can any one help with the co-ordinates and any other trip notes following David Carnegie's original route.

Thanks to all who reply

David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:18

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 20:18
David,

I have read David Carnegie's journal some time ago and have been to Helena Spring off the Canning Stock Route.

Where is Patience Well? Is it in the Gibson Desert?

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 27085

Follow Up By: David - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:21

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:21
Willem

The next post has a description of where it roughly is. Hema and Auslig show it at different locations (about 30k difference).

David
FollowupID: 18621

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:11

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:11
David,
I was with Ron Moon and a group of others (including Errol from WA whom you also hear from on this forum and will probably comment on this subject) two years ago and we spent some time looking for Patience Well. After much driveing and walking through spinnerfex looking, we found no sign of the well. Ron had a fair bit of information on the well location but it did date back to the 18 hundreds. I would have to dig out my trip log to give you the exact area in which we were looking. The area was aproximatly 100k SE of well 33 on the Canning if my memory serves me correctly. I am heading to the Canning again next week for a 7 week trip and will be digging out my old log so I will post you back what ever information I have if I come across it. Meanwhile I am sure Errol will also have some information if he replies.

Regard John
AnswerID: 27094

Follow Up By: David - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:30

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:30
John

Thanks for that. I hope to be our that way next year poking around with a couple of other vehicles. Good to get off the usual tourist trails. I find at times the desert is getting to crowed for me.

David
FollowupID: 18622

Reply By: JimB - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:02

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:02
Yeah Johnno,

And a bloody big oil rig out there too. Dave, they called the oil rig Patience Well. I was with Moonie, Big John and Errol too. People were all guessing at that time that the original Patience Well had only been a soak or depression in the ground. Do well (pun) to find it now. We didn't spend a huge amount of time looking though. If one was fair dinkum and didn't have pressing itineraries you'd probably have to spend a few days/ week looking around.

Magic country but.

Jimb
AnswerID: 27126

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:03

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:03
Hay Jimbo & Robin,
Good to hear from you. I Take it we are not going to meet you on the highway next week on our way to the Canning, (7 more sleeps then away for 7 weeks) Give us a call next time you are in Brisbane, there's always plenty of beds.

love Deb & John
FollowupID: 18771

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 00:01

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 00:01
David - little/no chance of finding this and even if you thought you did, little chance of convincing others..Despite this get a copy of "In the Hands of Providence" by William Peasley for some additional info on this well. Based on what Ive read it would have long ago filled in and be unrecognizable from any other section of the desert. It was just a deep hole dug in a creek bed...you would have better prospects looking for Lasseters Reef.
Cheers
Greg
AnswerID: 27537

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:25

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:25
David,

Patience Well has not been rediscovered. I had a look for it earlier this year with no luck. I was part of the David Carnegie Retracing Expedition. I have some details on my website, though it is not fully complete yet. Just search in Google for the address.

Equinox
AnswerID: 30203

Sponsored Links