camping in NT

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 645 Views:1687 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
3 families will be travelling Syd. to Darwin via Uluru in July,2002. 2 x camper trailers 1x tent.
can any one let me know about camping in rest areas or bush camping along the way.
Is it safe, legal.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00
William,
I'm not sure about the legalities but it is common place to rough camp enroute. Some advice that we received and followed was that in the mid to late afternoon look for other travellers that have pulled up for the night and pull up nearby. Believe me you will be surprised how many people are doing exactly what you are, especially at that time of year.
Happy travels.
AnswerID: 1734

Reply By: Mal Try - Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00
William,
As long as you are well away from towns with camping/caravan parks nobody seems to mind. I've done it in a tent all over Australia and it's only when you may be doing the locals out of a camping fee that the authorities (police or council rangers)get their noses out of joint.

If everyone takes some gloves it's amazing the amount of other people's rubbish you can pick up in the time it takes to drink your second stubbie. It makes it much more pleasant for your stay and for others.
See you on the track or in a rest stop.

Mal
AnswerID: 1743

Reply By: William - Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks very much for your replies Graham and Mal,
it doesnt seem such a hassle.
The only problem could be decent toilets, and keeping the tin lids amused.
as a supplemtry has any one been to Uluru with a dog, and what is the law at the rock with a mut.
Happy camping, William
AnswerID: 1751

Reply By: Sean - Friday, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:00
get onto the NT tourist information - they have lots of info and am glad to help.

Sean
Darwin
AnswerID: 1787

Sponsored Links