Dodgy suspension

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:23
ThreadID: 6454 Views:1630 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After going through 3 sets of new tyres in 3 years I feel compelled to have a grizzle about suspension "experts".
With my 3rd set of tyres now showing the same symptoms of premature wear, after "expert" attention to "the" problem, I have concluded that no-one really knows anything.
A bit harsh you say - I've been to 7 different suspension companies (from small indepentant to major chain outfits) and I got (you guessed it) 7 different responses as to why my front end is causing me such trauma. It would cost me a fortune to do everything that everyone recommended.
Is a dodgy IFS always as bad as a dodgy "open" diff front end??( no need to respond.)
I guess I've either got to choose one of the above or sell the car to some other poor sap.
In future I think a "second" (tongue in cheek) opinion will be the go on any repairs recommended.
AAH! I feel much better now.

Now, for my next grizzle ....
Oskar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:35

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:35
Hi Oskar
Which vehicle, what spring and shocker set up how many Klms per set and which tyres, and were do you drive it
Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 27252

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:37

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:37
Gidday Raymond
This is where it gets a bit sticky.
I currently drive a "grey import" Nissan Terrano 2.7TD auto.
We love the car and have done 62,000K's in the last 3.5 years (can't find the "half" button) but the front end has been a pain. I've replaced ball joints, shocks, idler arm, drag-link and had the alignment done continually. Still the right front scrubs on the inside. The steering box is OK and I'm currently building a new idler-arm post to eliminate any play in that area.
Now I'm not mechanically challenged having been successfully rebuilding ALL types of engines (except diesels) for over 30 years. I've been building vehicles and modifying suspensions for off-road purposes all that time (but only as an amateur) so this is just frustrating.
We get down and dirty as often as we can, up in the bush or on the beach, usually once a month or so, and I keep the car clean and in good order.
The last guy I went to about the front end actually started to make some sense so I think I'll give him a go.
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 18724

Follow Up By: Simon - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 19:10

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 19:10
Try here Oskar,

www. truckalign.com.au
FollowupID: 18752

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:38

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:38
Oskar

I'll agree if it helps you feel better.

Don't know about you, but for mechanically challenged idiots like me....I think most retailers see us as purely 'mechanically challenged idiots', and will tell us any old yarn as long as is sounds feasable so as to try and make us part with our money at their store!

That's why forums like this one are so good. At least we ( I ) can get some background info before facing the lions.

I think reputable large companies are the way to go, unless you know or have been strongly reommended otherwise. The big ones usually are more willing to correct problems. That's my TBW anyway :-)

cheers
AnswerID: 27254

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:41

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:41
gday oskar.
dont forget we get the other side.
when people come in for tyres susspention ect we always ask what sort of drivinig do you do? do you tow? is it all highway? any off road?
then we work out what would be best for them.
then they come back later after they say we never go of road and tow a little 6x4 trailer complaing about the suspetion being to soft when we hooked our mates 22ft caravan on for there 3 months trip across the simpson ect and the tyres were no good in the mud after the floods.
im not thats you just some people are like that.
i had aguy come in several months back in a gq patrolfor a set of tyres in hiswords we never go off road ever.
so we sugested 31x10.5x15 cooper h/t.
we never had any in stock only s/t. he had a look at the patten said they look very noisy i told him to take my gq around the block to see what he thinks.
bye the time i had fitted the s/t this guy was joining a 4wd club because a lot of his mates had 4wds and was going away as often as he could on weekends.
you can go out and buy the best tyres and suspention but if the bloke doing the wheel alignment dosnt know what hes doing or dosnt care your not going to be happy.
and now for your next grizzle lolgot over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
AnswerID: 27259

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 14:02

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 14:02
Yeah mate - I know what you mean
I'm working through the problem.
Some of the advice has been useful but in the end the problem has remained.
I'm not putting any new rubber on until the problem has been fixed.
I made the mistake of taking someone's recommendation and put Pirelli Scorpions on last time. They are almost impossible to balance (two of them had to have 120g on when fitted new) and keep balanced so I'm not too sad to have to replace my rubber this time.
I have been told by another suspension expert not to buy any tyres NOT made in Europe or Japan. The advice keeps coming.
Thanks for your response
Oskar
FollowupID: 18725

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 00:26

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 00:26
Oskar - may be a silly question but have you checked your wheel bearings?? (not just by checking the play in the wheel)

kes
AnswerID: 27313

Sponsored Links