Four Corners

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:39
ThreadID: 64602 Views:3374 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done the "Four Corners" ( Camerons, Surveyor-General, Peopel and Haddon)either on their own or in a tag-a-long group and what degree of difficulty to do on your own?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:50

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:50
Cameron - Sunday Drive

Poeppel - short drive from Birdsville (over big red) or on the way through Simpson D. Needs to be taken seriously but should be able to do yourself in 4WD in season. Lots of loose sand.

Haddon - easy drive till almost there, then short distance over a sand dune (easy)

Surveyor-general - haven't been there yet but permit etc complicate this one.

Alan
AnswerID: 341559

Follow Up By: dickie&rosie - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:50

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:50
Thanks Alan - seemed as though these three corners would not be too much of problem from the comments on the Forum pages - Surveyor Generals corner would seem to be a different story again reading previous forum comments
FollowupID: 609256

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:17

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:17
Hi Dickie & Rosie
All the corners are no problems to any person that is used to outback travel. The most out of the way and most costly is Surveyor General Corner.
This is the details to try and be accepted to visit this Corner:
Conditions of Entry to Surveyor General Corner.
Approval for your visit to Surveyor General Corner will be based on the following conditions:

Visits are strictly weekdays only. Definitely no weekends or Public Holidays
Irrunytju Community guide is required for access
one vehicle only to report to the community office where a guide will be assigned to you for your visit. Additional vehicles to wait on outskirts of Community
Access fees are to be paid at this time
Guide and Maintenance fees - No Exception
$100 per vehicle plus $20 per person

The only permitted access to Wingellina Community is down from the Great Central Road, east if Giles.

Does this make you change your mind??

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 341579

Follow Up By: dickie&rosie - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:51

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:51
Thanks for the info Stephen - have you done this trip recently?
FollowupID: 609257

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 13:44

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 13:44
Hi Dickie and Rosie
There are no problems coming down from Giles, it is well signposted.
When we were last at Wingellina, it was over 10 years ago and we came in through the APY Aboriginal Lands from South Australia. I know an Aboriginal Elder at Umuma. When invited out to see him, nothing was going to stop me from going up there, because as you may know, that is one part of Australia that is impossible for the average tourist to get permits to enter the APY Lands. From there, we travelled out further west into WA and up to Giles. Back then, the lure of money making was not set, so all that you had to do was ask for directions on how to get there.

We have made countless trip through the Simpson and now the lure is the western deserts of WA, so completely different from the Simpson.

If you get the chance, make the trip out to Wingellina and visit the corner, there is some unreal country out there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609262

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 14:39

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 14:39
And THAT is the reason why I have not bothered with a visit to Surveyor General's Corner.....

On principle I REFUSE to pay residents of Australia to visit a certain point of interest. I wonder if the residents of that community are required to pay to visit Adelaide or any other town/city?

It is pure bullsheet IMHO. It's bad enough having to pay to go to Ayers Rock, but at least there is some evidence of where some of the $$$ you spend there ending up. It can't be cheap to keep water and other essential services supplied to a remote place like Ayers Rock.......... but I doubt there are any such facilities proved at Surveyor Generals Corner. It would be interesting to see whether there is any of those funds being declared in a Tax Return from anyone in that community etc?????

P!ssed Off with the whole thing I'm sorry to say.

As for the other 3 corners; yes all pretty easy to access. Poeppels would be the "hardest" of those 3, although any of them would be a challenge after rain. When we did Haddens after it had been raining earlier in the week and our trip leader had a bit of bother and had to be recovered a couple of times.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 609267

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 14:51

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 14:51
"It would be interesting to see whether there is any of those funds being declared in a Tax Return from anyone in that community etc?????"

Now that was the best laugh all day :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 609269

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 16:35

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 16:35
Hi Roachie,
To me the joke is not the money (you pay far more than this to do the Hay River Trip, and even far more of a rip off to do the Bush Tucker Tour) - but it is the Monday to Friday basis and no Weekend and Public Holidays.

All of those gainfully employed people need some time off to do...... well what they usually do......nothing.

Having said that, the county out that way is unreal and if just to get there, it is worth just that. It was not that long ago when it was close off and you could not get out there at all.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609276

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 22:04

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 22:04
I agree with stephen l .
why should we have to pay to travel in our country .
a group of mates travelled the Hay River trk this year and it p---ed me off to pay 120$ per vehicle including motor bikes to pass through Batton Hill , more if you would like to camp there .
mechpete .
AnswerID: 341658

Follow Up By: David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Alongs - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 14:33

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 14:33
Having traveled the Hay river track many times, I know how much work Lindsay Bookie and Jol Flemming put into this track. I also witnessed Lindsays displeasure when some bastard thanked Lindsay for allowing him onto his traditional lands, by stealing a huge grindstone from lake Caroline. In my view it should be more expensive. It might discourage a few AH's who have no respect for anything.
FollowupID: 609385

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 21:50

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 21:50
Hi David,
Just for the records, one person that is never heard of for putting in the Hay River Tracks and that is Ken Williamson. Ken did all the hard yards of actually doing all the track logging and going out there by himself, with the help of Lindsay yet Jol get all the credit, so Credit where Credit is Due.
It should be Ken and Lindsay's Tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609438

Follow Up By: David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Alongs - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:11

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:11
Stephen

That may well be so, but who gets credit was not my point. Some jewels are meant to be hard to find. In my opinion there is way too much free access by people who couldn't give a rats, just want to tick the box. Wether the Hay, The Simpson, The Canning wherever. Over the years I've seen on the Hay river, at Lake Caroline, a huge grindstone perhaps hundreds, maybe thousands of years old stolen, the midden site driven over and almost all the stone tools picked up. So what is left for others to enjoy, and learn about. Make it difficult or expensive to get to and at least you keep the numbers down. Purnululu rangers used to keep the access road rough to control numbers, Lindsay and Co charge a fee. Comments referring to sit down money and tax and communities above show a level of misunderstanding. Batton Hill isn't a "community", it is a family home, and if people who visit took time to discuss sit down money and the future of Lindsay's people and all aboriginal people with Lindsay himself, they would perhaps not see so much difference between their own opinions and those of Lindsay who is against sit down money and works extensively to improve the lot of his people. Batton Hill is also perhaps one of the tidiest if not the tidiest bush camp I've seen apart from perhaps the one run by Terrence Couthard in SA. I for one am happy to pay too use it. The bush tucker tour is lacking bush tucker in winter, but persons interested in the country, the people' use of it, and who are willing to have meaningful discussions with Lindsay, Keven, Chris, Billy or whoever is running the tour will find it worthwhile despite the lack of tucker. A chance to see the country froma different viewpoint. last year Lindsay couldn't run the tour for us, so he gave us an alternative. He also met us in the bed of the Hay river at 9pm on his way to Atula and we had a long discussion about many things dear to him.

If one is willing to interact with the country and the people, as I am sure you do, it is worthwhile.

In the Simpson I've witnessed people dropping bags of rubbish beside the track, I've seen people cutting down growing trees, using soap in Dalhousie springs, driving up the side of the Knolls (in years past).

I say put the price up, or make the access more difficult so those of us like you and I who value the land and appreciate its beauty can enjoy the country unspoiled.
FollowupID: 609445

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:28

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:28
Hi David,
You are preaching hear to the converted, and I know exactly where you are coming from. Like one on my notes above, I said it is dear and if it is just to get out there, it is well worth the money, because as you know, there is some unreal country out there.

Because of the nature of your employment, you get to see first hand and on a very regular basis, the things that give responsible four wheel drivers a very bad name, and them we all get tarred with the same brush.

I have learnt first hand to keep certain spots a secret. One such place that we found north of Poeppels Corner contained the very old remains of an aboriginal wirlie and grindings stones. My group did the right thing, took nothing but photos and left only foot prints.

Told my find to one tour operator who claims he knew of the spot. I gave the details to Ken Williamson and when he went there, you guess, the grinding stones have disappeared. That made my blood boil, as once again another piece of Simpson History is now lost forever.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609448

Follow Up By: David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Alongs - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:32

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:32
Stephen

I believe we are talking of the same spot when I say that there is not much left of the whirlie now either.

David
FollowupID: 609449

Reply By: x - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:22

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:22
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
You really meant the "five corners" as there are two at SG.

I wouldn't get too steamed up about a few bucks involved in permits etc. I do get steamed up by petrol companies gouging many hundreds of dollars on fuel prices, people in the financial sector creaming off millions for themselves while they play with our compulsory super, politicians and public servants who give themselves 16% super contributions etc etc.

Poeppels Corner would be the trickiest drive. SGs the hardest to get to though. I should add that it more than annoys me that you can't visit the APY lands at all (unless you are a politician).
AnswerID: 341692

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:38

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:38
Well, there ya go!! Ya learn something new every day. I wasn't aware there were 2 different points involved with SG's corner.

How far apart are they, please?

Roachie
FollowupID: 609364

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:50

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:50
127 metres Roachie...

See this link : GA SITE

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609365

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 13:20

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 13:20
Hi X
There is some unreal country in the APY Lands. I still have my contact up there, but would feel that I would be abusing the privilege it I wanted to go through with a small group of friends. The funny part about our permits when we received them back after applying, the reason on the permit stated for a "family visit", even though I am Lily White AND Leonard is as Black as the Ace of Spades. I was asked to take some of his family members up for a funeral, but could not get the time off of work last October. I might get out that way again, but next year we will have to come down from Giles to Wingelinna

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 609372

Reply By: David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Alongs - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 14:38

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 14:38
Difficulty is a hard thing to define in such places. All are remote and lots of care should be taken. Traveling alone is OK but with others is better in such places. I've seen people stuck in all of those places. It depends on experience at remote are travel and other aspects.

Haddon- sand dunes require understanding of sand driving- seen people stuck here
Peoppel- Never underestimate the big dune county of the Simpson
Cameron- remote. Bore track not always easy to navigate.
Surveyor General- expensive need access permits - remote

We will be doing those four corners in May this year.
AnswerID: 341727

Reply By: Steve63 - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:05

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:05
We did the four (five) corners in May this year. Camerons, Surveyor-Generals and Haddon are via dirt roads so if you are comfortable on dirt roads there is no issue. You need a permit and there is a fee to access SG corner. You need a different permit for the Great Central road (may be two depending which way you go). Peopel is in the Simpson desert about a day from Birdsville so you need to be confident in the dunes to do this by yourself.

Difficulty is a personal thing. One persons easy is anothers nightmare. We did this by ourself but we have a fair bit of experience and normally travel alone. We are well prepared and have a fair bit of comms gear. If this is not describing you I would at least go with someone else to Peopel's. Even the other corners are out of the way so you need to be sensible. It is all possible even by yourself. Note that the Simpson conditions are changable.

If you are going to do this make sure you plan well, get experience and training for the sand, keep speed down and don't plan really long days. We stop at 4 - 430 irrespective of where we are. Your itinery can get you hurt or worse so don't pay to much attention to it! If you have any doubt, find someone experienced to travel with.

Steve
AnswerID: 341848

Follow Up By: Member - Ian R1 (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 14:10

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 14:10
Thanks Steve for your information and sound advice - your post and some of the others were what we were looking for.
FollowupID: 609523

Sponsored Links