All things under the hood Part 2

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 19:33
ThreadID: 64708 Views:2089 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Willem's post of how to do wiring got me thinking. A lot of people post on how to go about it so why not post a few photos of how some have? Mine is much like Willems only it has a few more of those cable ties people love. So here is my Dual Battery - Accessory Effort.Needs a bit of a clean! No 2 Battery is on the tray - no where else to put it. A fellow posted the other day with a dual battery wiring setup - this $100 option works for me. Cheers Tony Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:23

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:23
I wouldn't want the same setup in a sedan. The fumes from the battery coming up under the autotune base could spell trouble...big time ?
AnswerID: 342142

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:40

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:40
Footy - I do not know how you could do that in a sedan :-). I am sure there will be no problem anyway as it is always ventilated - my canopy slides up to the back of the battery. May have a problem with transmission & reception though as an afterthought. The arial cable should be located away from a power source - maybee I will be able to insulate this from the battery box, or maybee the battery box will be insulation enough? Regards Tony
FollowupID: 609863

Reply By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:12

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:12
Hi All
Cable tires are great,But don't do what this old man did ,meaning me. When fitting the winch to my truck ,I cable tired the Positive Line to winch from Battery to the metal body ,with out protect cover over leads ,First time I used my new winch ,big melt down & fire, Thank goodness I had Fire Extinguisher. I melted every thing including Winch ,Expense Lesson.
AnswerID: 342173

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:45

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:45
Good point. I always leave my ties a bit loose when tying to metal and as of this date have had no problems like this in all the years I have been using cable ties. But for the extra piece of mind I may do as you suggest. The winch I had fitted when I brought the car has no cable protection and is cable ties in varios places - will have to see if they are getting worn. Thankyou. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 609864

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:07

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:07
"First time I used my new winch ,big melt down & fire, Thank goodness I had Fire Extinguisher. I melted every thing including Winch ,Expense Lesson"

Unfortunately other posts here have shown that people have no idea of the huge current that will flow from a short-circuit to a car battery.

If you short out the 240volts at home the current is limited to 100 amps because the supply authority has put in a fuse at the switchboard.

If you short out a car battery, over 1500 amps can flow, if you don't put in a fuse.

FollowupID: 609920

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:30

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:30
Hi Mike.
As they say you learn by your own mistakes ,as I was dragging a big truck out of a sand bog up a hill I just asked to much & as the tie Cables where to tight to truck body big short when they heated up, 1500 Amps as it melted the + Cable to butter ,Battery , & winch motor that was all ,very lucky to still have truck.
One good reason to carry a Fire Extinguisher.
FollowupID: 609926

Sponsored Links