free camping?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 19:56
ThreadID: 64711 Views:4895 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

hi does anyone no of free camp sites in nsw or qld im traveling with 2 dogs or any ideas on dogs friendly camp grounds along the coast from byron up to townsville thanx
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:04

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:04
G/W,

if you go into the Articles area above and head for the camping topic you'll find a list of related posts concerning camp grounds. The search facility should give you a list of posts concerning camping with pooches.

There is a book available in most good bookstores called freecamps Australia and it lists most free camps in and about the whole of Oz. You could probably get it on the Exploroz store as well.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342139

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:39

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 20:39
Camps Australia Wide 4 is about the best for overall Australian coverage for free and low cost camping, and it specifies places where dogs are permitted. As things change, updates can be printed from their website. You may find places to stop yourself, but having Camps as a back up means you don't have to panic as darkness comes. It is available from the ExplorOz shop.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342149

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 21:17

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 21:17
i bought this book as suggested by someone on this site - and i must say that i am a little disappointed in it.

The camp sites are more of a " rest stops" most by the side of busy roads ... not much more i can say on this book. if your looking for a spot to sleep for a few hours whilst on the road -- yes this book is good

if your looking for a nice weekend get away spot --- better of with boiling billy publications

JMO

Boc
FollowupID: 609829

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 22:54

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 22:54
Hi Ozboc

We bought the Boiling Billy publication for Tasmania, and found Camps 3 ever so much better. For WA and NT, the Jan Holland Priceless Camp Sites and Rest Areas series are marvellous - but not everything listed is permitted or suitable overnighters - hence the inclusion of rest areas in the titles. A pity she hasn't covered the other states. They are very comprehensive.

With Camps 3 (now Camps 4 is out), i found in areas where there was nothing suitable for overnight over a big distance, a poor rest area will be listed. Otherwise where there is plenty of good stuff, only bigger and better rest areas are listed. As said, we use it as a backup. We usually find somewhere nice and quiet, but if we don't, we don't have to panic - we just check out the next couple of listings from Camps.

For all over Australia, rather than a box of books, Camps is a good overall coverage.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 609846

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 23:15

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 23:15
Possibly letting out a big secret, but the best guide to camping anywhere in Australia is at http://www.lrc.org.au/cgcorner/web/index.htm

The Landrover Club of the ACT have put in an enormous amount of work into this and yes it show if you can have pets.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 342161

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 23:16

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 23:16
Possibly letting out a big secret, but the best guide to camping anywhere in Australia is at http://www.lrc.org.au/cgcorner/web/index.htm

The Landrover Club of the ACT have put in an enormous amount of work into this and yes it show if you can have pets.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 342162

Follow Up By: gypsy wolf - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:37

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:37
just want to thank all you guys who replied to my free camping add & wish you all a happy new yr safe travells
FollowupID: 609897

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:58

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:58
HI tony- just had a question - if i purchase the CD does it come with EVERYTHING on the site? - or just state specific -- ie NSW ...

thanks

Boc
FollowupID: 610447

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:14

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:14
Yes everything is on the CD (all states), the one I have is 3 years old, I use the web site to update
FollowupID: 611546

Reply By: gypsy wolf - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:46

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:46
i need parks that allow dogs i dont think there will be many free camping spots that allow dogs
AnswerID: 342205

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 16:52

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 16:52
Gypsy,

I read this post earlier and went to look in places and realised that there were a few search options missing so I have now added the ability to search places using features - so if you go to Caravan Park Search or Free Camp Search or even Camp Fee Search, you can now check the box next to Pets Allowed and the system will return only results that match. So in your case select NSW or OLD as the state check on Pets Allowed and presto you will see the places we have listed that allow pets.

I now need to add this facility to the mapping system so you can plot a map of camps that allow pets and then pick them off the map - this will come down the track but for now you can at least see the list and open them to find more.

Good luck and maybe update the places system when you find the spots you want to stay.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342261

Sponsored Links