waddy point

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 22:28
ThreadID: 64714 Views:2783 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
happy new year!! just wanting some advise on camping at waddy point camping grounds at fraser island. is it hard to get to towing a camper trailer? best places to see? any advise anyone thinks we should no! thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goona - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 22:56

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 22:56
Gday,

Pretty easy to get to Waddy no days as they have boarded all the major crossing such as Indian Head, Waddy etc. Eli creek changes from year to year and I have had no troubles getting across it towing a camper although there were a couple of years I had to wait for the tide to go down a bit so it wasn't a salt water bath. Other than that there are also plenty of other 4wds there to lend a hand. I would suggest taking a couple of snatch straps to link together and remember not with a "D" shackle (This could result in serious damage or death if one of the straps let go) but with a piece of sturdy dowel such as a piece of broom handle.

Goona
AnswerID: 342160

Follow Up By: Lex M - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 00:10
That piece of dowel can do some damage. Try a rolled up newspaper or magazine or better still one of these joining strap

and these are worth consideration also recovery safety strap

(no affiliation etc just a user)
FollowupID: 609853

Follow Up By: Goona - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:00

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:00
Hi Lex,

Hi have been using the dowel for at least 15 years with no drama's. If in the event that it should break neither piece is attached to the strap and would simply fall out to the ground. I also use my winch cable dampener in the whole set up so this also contribute to slowing the hole set up in the event of a breakage.

Goona
FollowupID: 609870

Reply By: George_M - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 19:34

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 19:34
The time of year and point of entry to Fraser could influence your trip.

In summer it gets bl@@dy hot, as does the sand. Crossing over the point at Indian Head could be "interesting" if the sand it soft, deep, and hot as it could be in summer. I was up that way in July, and wasn't aware that the Indian Head track had planking under it.

If you land at Inskip Point it's an easy run up the beach to Indian Head, particularly at low tide. If you come across from Hervey Bay, however, it would be a bit of a slog towing a CT across the Island - you'll almost certainly meet oncoming traffic, some of which (eg. tourist bus's) will not get off the single lane tracks to let you past.

Having said all that, it a fantastic place to visit.

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342300

Sponsored Links