The Bogans got the better of us.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:16
ThreadID: 64718 Views:4000 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
We had to cut our camping trip short courtesy of a mob of yobbos with motorbikes camped nearby. They seemed to have a need to ride their screaming machines near camp (and through camp) when there were any number of tracks available away from camp.

I'm not talking about a group of young yahoos, this was a camp of about eight families. Riders ranged from ten years old to adult.

Our request to ride elsewhere fell on deaf ears, and when the cops did a patrol of the area they had a chat to them. Of course after the cops left they were back at it.

And the Ranger? What Ranger. Never saw one in eight days.

To add to the problem they had a couple of air horns which they continually blasted.

I guess we're going to have to find some more remote places and be prepared to drive further to find some peace in the bush.

We should know better than to go camping in peak periods, and usually do, but this time we had no option.

Jim.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:23

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:23
JIM. That would have been no fun at all. Never got into bikes at all - They are noisy buggers. Shame they had no respect to keep the noise down. Lucky we have not got a large poulation up this way, so not so much of a problem for us. Better luck next time Jim. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 342176

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:27

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:27
Tony,

For the most part, we've never had a problem with bikes. They generally start up, idle quietly out of camp, and go away to ride the tracks. Then they idle gently back into camp and switch off.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 609861

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:23

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:23
Had similar morons in attendance at Copi Hollow last April. Glad I saw/heard them before booking in. Moved on to Kinchega instead.

AnswerID: 342177

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:30

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:30
Jim, where abouts were you camped?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 342180

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:15

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:15
John,

Poplars Reserve, Loch Valley, about 9 km north of Noojee.

Been there before, bloody lovely spot with a nice creek running through.

Just depends on your neighbours LOL.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 609873

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:45

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:45
Jim,

Helps if your around 150 kgs, half naked, wandering around the camp site with a full sized axe, arguing with trees, blades of grass, twigs, your eyes rolled into the back of your head.

Un-nerves the worst of them. They usually either move on or quieten down.
No one trusts a raving nutta.

Best one was at Lane Pool down south.
Doing the usual nutta act when my shorts dropped to my ankles.
I always 'free-ball' when camping, got rid of the bad campers and, unfortunately, some of the good ones also......sorry bout that.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 342182

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:48

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:48
LOL, it is Friday, good one.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 609865

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:50

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:50
Lionel - That would work on me - you would have that camping site all to yourself :-). Darn can not get that vision out of my brain. LOL Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 609867

Follow Up By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:26

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:26
Thanks...........now I have to explain to the wife why I bleep me pants!! ROTFLMAO Made my day!!

Stefan
FollowupID: 609877

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:32

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:32
So that was you Lionel !! I would have never have guessed it from your forum normality!! Michael :)
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 609896

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:27

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:27
hahahaha.....
I reckon you would fit right in with our camp Lionel!!!!
FollowupID: 609901

Follow Up By: handy - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:42

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:42
i reckon you would frighten him off you ugly bugger. ha ha
FollowupID: 609912

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:48
Hahahaha...
Now thats the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

LOL
Happy New Year
FollowupID: 609916

Follow Up By: handy - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:03

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:03
you mean indigenous dont ya
FollowupID: 609919

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 14:31
Bloody trouble maker!!!

LOL
FollowupID: 609933

Reply By: balko - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:38

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:38
As a bike rider it pi^&es me off when cowboys out there give us a bad name with carpark racing. Im sorry they spoilt your holiday and im glad you don't put us bike riders all in the same basket. If there are campers where we go i do as you said idle out and idle back in making sure to keep a eye for kids. Up at Chichester state forest they have 2 camp spots on either side of creek Couchwood for non riders and frying pan for bikes riders works great. Did you approach them if i see bike riders giving us a bad name i will always say something to them most go all humble. Other wise when they close down my riding spots due to idiots i will feel like i did nothing to stop it. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 342196

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:30

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:30
I have camped at both coachwood and frying pan - i am also an x rider ( used to ride CR500 then cfr450always been a honda boy from my first cr80 to my xr 250 then cr250 then vf500 then cbr 900 - now back to the road bikes - Hayabussa 1300 cc)

Most of the guys i have seen at the camp sites are good - they will start there bikes up - do a short quiet slow lap of the camp area - then meet up then leave for a few hours

you get the occasional idiots that do not know how to ride then feel the need to try show people they can ride. one lesson i have learn t in life , ANYONE can ride-drive fast in a straight line its the corners that separate the wannabe's from the riders

there are the occasional rogue cowboys that will spoil it for everyone - best bet would be to maybe video tape them - be sure to get there number plates of there cars and show that your in a NP and send it on to the authorities... but if its anything like Stockton beach -- it will fall on deaf ears

Boc
FollowupID: 610466

Reply By:- Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:24
That is a shame; a beautiful spot ruined with noise. Perhaps there should be some rules for noisy bikes as there are for noisy generators!! My Honda E10 doesn't make half the noise yet I am not allowed to use it in national parks.

Nothing against bike riders but it is all about respecting other people; the same applies to noisy beefed up 4WD's, cars and bleep people around camp sites.
AnswerID: 342199

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:26

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:26
I find this situation very upsetting. I usually pack up and head off somewhere else.

To make things more complicated, my son loves his dirt bikes and so do his mates. They don't go out camping, but would certainly fit the same group and would probably behave like that.

Luckily they use our bush block and nearby bush..... still behave as described. Sigh.... I hate the sound and worry about the danger, not to mention the illegality. Come to think about it..... they seem to have not done much for the last year or so.... so maybe growing out of it?

I guess the real answer is to designate bike riding areas and let us quiet loving types know where they are.

I never go camping in peak periods if I can help it.

I sympathise.
AnswerID: 342202

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 15:04

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 15:04
*Poplars Reserve, Loch Valley, about 9 km north of Noojee. *

You should know better than that Jim,I've complained and Mike has stated in the past its an Idiots Playground..

Makes a mockery about the Anti-hooning Laws apply here doesn't it..

Yer right you hav to put yourself out because Rangers and Coppers are too lazy to right up a report ! I spoke to a Ranger about a month ago up near Bulltown on the Crooked River,Seem to come out when there is bugger all people about,maybe they like the peace and quiet of the bush too (off peak) lol

Hav a Good New Year

Cheers
AnswerID: 342242

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:24

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:24
Wayne,

That's the other side of Noojee, Toorongo Falls Camping Area. It's well known for bikes, Buck's Night Parties and general gatherings of Life's bleep s.

Made the mistake of going there once.

There also used to be a campground about 200 yards behind the Noojee Pub. It got closed down about 18 months ago due to the number of grubs it attracted.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 609948

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:17

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:17
We camped near a group of bikie type bikers years ago in the Grampians Jim. They weren't acting up or doing anything fearsome but they were about 30 metres from us in rather heavy bush and we felt uncomfortable. That afternoon we were cracking the stockwhip, learning some new devotees to the ancient art of whip cracking in the bush and over from the other camp came cries of... "Watch out, we are over here!!!" They thought we had guns and were taking a few pot shots.

Well we wandered over and showed them the source of the loud bangs and even gave them a quick lesson or two and they turned out to be great people! Funny thing how we preconceive things.

In your case Jim it wasn't the pre-conception, which as you say was a good one, more the actual bad behaviour. Shame that, there's yobbos all over the place even in hallowed 4b circles.

You should have gone WEST young Jimbo
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342272

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:13

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:13
Jimbo its very sad that there are inconsiderate campers in all areas of society...highlighted last year with the camping incident involving the 4WD club in Caloundra and the young family!

There is no reason why any VEHICLE activity should interrupt peoples camping...not just bikes, it just takes consideration. You should try camping at Wilblinga, Wedge, Lancellin, Rainbow Beach or Stockton and you will see thoughtless use of 4WDs and Hoons around family's and along swimming beaches.

It a shame that we are all tarred with the same brush when we enjoy our pastimes...I know Im one of those environmental vandals purely due to the fact I OWN a 4WD....oh times that by two...I also own a dirtbike too!

Having just started dirtbike riding here in WA, it is nearly impossible to find a safe venue to operate it. Every year they close down more of the acceptable and relatively safe (considering the activity) areas and push riders to over populate the open venues which makes it more dangerous.

Then the powers to be complain about riding close to residential areas or in closed areas...they create the problems by not having safe riding areas or opening up state forest.

If only everyone could be considerate for others, no matter what the activity..unfortunately its human nature and a sign of the times that people do not consider others and promotes the "buggar you attitude"

Sorry they spoiled your trip Jimbo, but its only going to happen more and more, unless our (societies) attitudes change or we lobby to INCREASE the available areas for our pastimes.

All the best.

Matt.
AnswerID: 342285

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:33

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:33
Hey Matt,

Im heading up to Lancelin-Cervantes on Australia Day weekend.
Hoping to camp up along the way and do a spot of fishing.

Looks like Im going to have to take my trusty axe and hone my cussing skills.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 609965

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:46

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:46
Mmmmm expect it to be a very busy weekend for the Lancellin area, as most long weekends up there are. Expect there to be high numbers of vehicles of every description if you do the dunes or wedge-cervantes trip. Everything from dune buggies, quads, 2 wheelers and the 4bys.

Its hit and miss for idiots but when the numbers are high...obviously the chances are greater.

Still great spot and worth the effort even if you decide to move to avoid incident rather than escalate.

All the best Lionel.

Matt.
FollowupID: 609973

Sponsored Links