High country trip.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 13:35
ThreadID: 64732 Views:5718 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Back from trip to Dargo & surrounds. Reece & Wayne (Warfer) and myself on this trip.
Left 7pm 26th. arrived Colins Hut 11pm. Nice spot, no other campers. Set up camp.
Next morning crossed Wonnangatta River below hut. Quite deep, lapped over top of bonnet. No track on other side as map suggested. Returned to camp across river again. Found another track a couple of days later just upstream which crossed river and continued on. Set off to find Reece's relatives camped somewhere near by. Found them before lunch at Black Snake Creek Camp. Nice spot, easy access, but dust from road came down onto camp.
Deflated tires to 24psi. With some extra passengers set off for Billy Goat Bluff Track to see views from Pinnacles. Fun track, spectacular views, friendly Fire Watcher in tower. Back to camp and swim in fast flowing Wonnangatta.
Set off next morning for Wonnangatta, via Dargo, Talbotville. Nice couple in Land Cruiser asked to tag along with us to Wonnangatta from here. Tea Tree Spur Track, Hart Spur Track, Wonnangatta Station for lunch, back out Herne Spur (steep), crossed Wonnangatta at Eaglevale, back to camp. Long day. Wayne arrived late this night.
Set out next morning about 11 to do Blue Rag Range Track. Drizzly and misty. Thought we might not get the views. Through Dargo, High Plain Rd to Blue Rag. Fun track with steep rocky section before trig point. Cloudy, misty, drizzly, windy, cold, no view. Set off to descend 1200m in 8 km to river, dead end track. Some steep and rutted sections. Hasn't been bulldozed since fires. Lush new growth closes track somewhat. Only soft so no severe scratching. Lovely camping spot at bottom. Met old guy camped across river. Very friendly, wanted us to stay. Quite a character. Went over and had a chat and swim in Wongungarra River. Back up track to summit. Cloud lifted, spectacular views. Bush looks like standing match sticks with dead trees from fires of 2006. Lush undergrowth. Fantastic how the bush can recover. Set off back, turned down Basalt Knob Track instead of returning to High Plains Rd. Very good track. Turn into South Basalt Knob Track. This becomes very steep, big sharp humps. Some rocky steps and smooth clay rutted sections. Fun to go down, must go up sometime. Back to camp via Crooked River Track.
Next day set out 9am to do Haunted Stream Track, 54 river crossings. Easy and pretty. Finished by 2pm. On way back Wayne leads off to explore and we find lovely camping spot on Wentworth River. Steep climb out, Mt Steve Track with high vegetation growth down middle. Get to end and there is a sign saying track closed due to wild fire damage. Lucky we encountered no logs across track. Back to Dargo. I went back to camp to pack and return home. Wayne carries all his gear and left from there. Reece stayed on for tea at Dargo Pub to return next morning. I got home 0.20am New Years day.
Great trip!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:15

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:15
Twinkles,

Thanks for the report.
Sounds like you had fun.
Heading down that way for two weeks on the 15th. :)
AnswerID: 342271

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 18:01
goodday twinkles
we did the trig point a few years ago and felt we were on top of the world but denny walked down the little steep bit lmao
steve
AnswerID: 342281

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:53

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:53
Here are some pictures

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 342351

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 08:59

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 08:59
Great pics Wayne!
FollowupID: 610064

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:59

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:59
*Great pics Wayne!*

Thanks Matey lol

I will have to take more of other people in future,Although i can still put more up of the area ???

Cheers
FollowupID: 610204

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:24

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:24
Stop it you lot! I just want to go there and this ISN'T HELPING!!!

Great pics, love to sit down and map out the tracks you took.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 610219

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 10:13

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 10:13
Great Area all right Twinkles

Sounds like a great trip that you had - don't recall seeing your group of cars unfortunately. We are just home (friday night) from camping 8 days at Talbotville with to many adventures.
We had the main camp spot right in top corner.

Over the course of week several had problems going up Old Basalt. We found that Bald top to Mt Sarah was hardest track - perhaps because it was cold and showery that day.

On way out we went past Black snake camp and stopped at loo's there noting that it was almost vacant with the camp area just near toilet right on river and it had a nice collection of cut fire wood left, maybe it was yours.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 342391

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:25

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:25
Wayne said you were in the area. We were on the look out but obviously didn't see you. I met you at Wirrawena gathering. We were going to go up Sarah Spur, but can't do everything. I want to go back next weekend and do trip into Mayford along King Spur. Do you know what that track is like? Did you go up South Basalt Knob, and why were some having trouble? Was it a bit wet? Wayne hasn't been to Wonnangatta so we may do Sarah Spur next time he is with me. I've been down it when very wet. A bit scarey when slippery.
FollowupID: 610098

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:40

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:40
Its amazing isn't it , we camped in one central location and went out for days on cars and bikes and still didn't revisit everthing.
Can't give you up to date on King spur, was damm dusty 3 years ago though.

Going up south basalt , some from our group ( 12 cars 16 bikes) found it hard because of recent heavy rain leaving ruts in loose top soil. Some aslo had trouble on a couple of shaley bits of Billy goats.

In contrast others like the Difficult Mcguires track and Sarah spur had been washed clean and were damp from a heavy fog and mist on the exposed steep rock sections.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610166

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:57

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:57
Hiya Robin

Hope you had a great xmas,new year...As twinkles and myself were coming of basalt knob tk i said to her on the radio i wonder if Robin Miller is still here !

The Sarah Spur tk off Brewery Road i did about a month ago and came back down tee-tree tk,Thought it may get hairy with some rain on it..Did you get up to guys hut and fill in the book ???...You end up crossing the Wonanguarra River,we stopped in it and lied down for a swim it was quite shallow..

A guy came over the radio and said he was having issues on Billy Goats,Sounded like he was panicking a bit,offered our help but obviously did not need it..

Cheers
FollowupID: 610203

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:01

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:01
Spent only 5 minutes at Guys hut Wayne, didn't fill in book , it was in full cloud , very misty and you couldn't see more than 20m.

We were doing a reverse loop , us in car clockwise from Talbotville and 3 on bikes going anticlockwise. We meet there just long enough to give our mates some sorely needed rain jackets a quick bite to eat.

Back in the valley a couple of hours later and the kids were swimming and full sunshine.

Same thing happened previous day , sun at Talbotville and we drove into dargo for dinner. Whilst there the heavens opened for 30 minutes and we had to wade thru water to get to the car whilst in the background locals were saying they hadn't seen rain like it for a long time.

So with the patchy conditions Billy goats could have been tough on those loose bits at the wrong time.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610225

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:16

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:16
Twinkles I did almost all those tracks when I was 16-17 on a 500cc BSA sidecar outfit, and have wanted to go back ever since, youve whet my appetite for this area once again!

Thanx

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 342531

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 16:20

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 16:20
Hi Bonz. Wayne and I and maybe some others, may be going up again Friday 9th for 3 to 4 days. You can join us if you're free. We want to go up Basalt, then King Spur into Mayford. Another day up Sarah, into Wonnangatta down Water Spur and along Humphrey. Let me know if you're able.
FollowupID: 610255

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 16:29

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 16:29
I am doing a coaching weekend that weekend Twinkles so next time maybe, dang I would get up there

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 610256

Sponsored Links