Nissan Terrano oil leak question

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:26
ThreadID: 6474 Views:6139 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, first post here and hoping someone can help.

I am looking at buying a second hand 90-92 Terrano diesel turbo

I have noticed in 3 out of 4 cars inspected so far, a slight oil leak in the turbo pipe assembly directly above the rocker cover.
these range from 120k to 170k on the clock

The sellers tell me this is a common problem and nothing to worry about.

Can someone here please enlighten me on this, I have also noticed the clutch pedal doesnt seem to engage until pretty far out on most, anyone had to replace a clutch lately?

and any other problems I should look for?

Thanks Kindly for any tips forthcoming.

Sean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: haze - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 18:07

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 18:07
Is there a Nissan (sic Renault) that doesn't have a problem?
AnswerID: 27358

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:11

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:11
Just ignore the Toyota??? owner.
Welcome to the forum Sean
Oskar
FollowupID: 18859

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 18:14

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 18:14
Lost wax
This is common problem, my son had one and it is easly fixed.

Mount a drink bottle on the fire wall and there is a breather line there some where. Pull it off and let it breath into the bottle. He had his for 2 years with no problems.

john
AnswerID: 27359

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:29

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:29
lostwax
Is it an oil leak or a black looking "sooty" stain that is not a continuous flow (albeit small).
I have had a similar small oil smear on my Terrano in the same spot for the last 3 years or so and my mechanic says everything is OK. (I hope he knows his stuff)
A continuous flow would be a different story.
Always be wary of a used car salesman who says something is "a common problem and nothing to worry about."
If it is a "problem" then it IS a PROBLEM and worth checking out to see if really is a minor or a major problem.
They don't always know what they are talking about so I hope you get some good advice.
I have an auto so I can't help you on that one.
Have some heavy duty rear springs fitted (if they aren't already).With the Terrano, you can wear the front tyres prematurely if you travel with a load in the rear with weak rear springs.
When you test drive take note of the temp. gauge as some TD27 Nissans (Terrano's, Navara's) etc can get a bit too hot, too quickly.
Another very common fault in both the earlier Pathfinder and the Terrano is in the headlamp circuit. One light (or both) will suddenly cut out. The problem is in the main headlight switch on the stalk. To fix it you dismantle the switch (it's sealed, but so what ...open it anyway), and carefully use some 600 grit W&D paper to clean the contacts. (About $130 to buy a new one)
I don't understand the thing about the drink bottle in the previous response. I'd like to though.
Most of the replacement parts can be bought through Nissan or you can source parts that may be the same as the Pathy or the Navara of the same era. (not always though)
Hope this long-winded reply helps
Oskar
AnswerID: 27387

Follow Up By: lostwax - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:52

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:52
Hey Thanks heaps guys, this is a great forum ( :

Oskar, yes they all appear to be a very minor oil smears but still enough that it would bug me.
One guy said it was caused by the seals on the turbo inverting in on themselves causing a slight leak?

Of the 4 terrano's I inspected only one didnt have a trace of oil in the same area, was in great condition and low ks, I would have bought it there and then if not for the shocking blood red velvet interior ( :

Anyway I wont let it put me off the terrano's they seem like a great vehicle for the price
FollowupID: 18849

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:22

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:22
I just tightened the hose-clamps and all my problems went away. LOL
I saw the blood red interior when looking around for mine and it affected me the same way. Great if you're a vampire.
I spoke to three or four diesel mechanics before buying mine ( I really wanted a Surf) and they all said to go with the Nissan. The Surf is still a pretty little car though.
We love our Terrano it's a great touring vehicle and really good on the beach - which we do a lot. It's nice to drive around town too.
It's actually pretty good up in the scrub as well.
As you said "for the price..."
Oskar
FollowupID: 18852

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:14

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:14
dont forget to check for rust underneath the back seat, it's right to check for overheating, especially when in 4WD in sand and towing and even on a warm day with the aircon on. We had one and they are a good car. Unfortunately they suffer from gutless deisel syndrome so don't expect to accelerate quickly in a short space to get to the top of that sand hill! Parts aren't a problem. Ours was auto too but just because the friction point is up high, doesn't mean the clutch is no good.
I didn't have any oil leaks around the turbo on our car.

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 27392

Sponsored Links