suspension setup troopie

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:12
ThreadID: 64769 Views:2717 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i wanna set up a new suspension in my hdj78rv troopie, it has currently got a lifted efs system fitted when i purchased the car. the set up is good for heavy towing but sends you through the roof while 4wdriving. i'm trying to achive a softer ride without jepodising toughness as we tow a 2 tonne boat fishing has anybody got any ideas or has set up a troopie.

cheers joel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kroozer - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:53

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:53
Airbags would be the way to go. Softer leaves with airbags on the rear.
AnswerID: 342432

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 22:52

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 22:52
Gday Joel,
While airbags will make your rear suspension adjustable, they have their downsides. Articulation is reduced - uptravel in mine is reduced by 70mm, and if you have any pressure in the bags then rear suspension movement is very poor when 4wding.

I'd be inclined to do nothing.
AnswerID: 342645

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:29

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:29
Have to agree with Phil on the Air Bags. The very nature of their design means they severly restrict the Articulation. They certainly make your suspension adjustable but all you are doing is transferring the load off the springs and on to the Air Bags. I think properly setup springs correctly rated will do a far better job.

I presently have a TJM GVM increase kit on my Troopy and at a weight of 3,200kg the rear is sitting down too low. Hate to think what it would look like at 3,700kg. It seems to me the Rear Springs TJM installed are not right for the job. I have corrected this with Air Bags but when I have more time I am going looking for the correct rear Rear Springs to get the height right when fully loaded.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610344

Reply By: joel WA - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:42

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 21:42
cheers guys for the feed back, i have got in touch with the guys at rocky spring works/west coast suspension she is go in next week.

another one for yous is anybody running the cooper atr tyre and what they are like for durability and road noise.im running the cooper discoverer st and find them o.k but don't hook up to well in soft sand and very noisey
AnswerID: 342780

Reply By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 16:40

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 16:40
Hi Joel, looks like you might be a Rockingham boy, you mentioned Rocky suspensions, I bought my Hdj78 a couple of months back and after a Nissan GU wagon I had to change the suspension within a fortnight, check my profile for the make of the rear leafs, Wilkinson Suspension in Bayswater put all the new bouncy bits in, pretty pleased with it, they are Parabolic leafs, there are a few GEO's in the goldfields using them with pretty good reports, they are much better than the standard leaf packs when the vehicle is unloaded, and seem fine with a load inside and behind (we pull a TVan). wheel articulation is considerably better than standard springs, tested it in my firebreak as soon as I got it home where I had previously got it bogged, hope your new setup does the job for you. Might see you round the district, we live halfway between Rocky and Mandurah, I have an EO wheel cover on my spare. Cheers and happy trails for 09. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342880

Sponsored Links