Car fridge power

My daughter is off soon on a round Australia trip in her X TRAIL and wants to use a Waeco thermoelectric fridge for cooling the Cruisers without flattening the starter battery overnight.I think installing a second battery will be a bit difficult so I am unsure what she can use to power it.I have thought about using a Waeco coolpower pack or a something similar but how well these recharge on the move.
Can any one help with some suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:32

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:32
I strongly suggest she invests a little more in a compressor fridge. The thermo electric units are only any good while the engine is running (IMHO).

She will still need a 2nd battery, but I would think that one of the Thumper type would be best.

Mind you, she's starting to get up into the bigger $$$ area now....but the items should be readily saleable if she decides she no longer needs them after the trip is over.

Roachie
AnswerID: 342452

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:17

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:17
My thermoelectric now has a place among the 3 eskies that I own. As long as you have ice to put in it, it will cool the drinks- however, the insulation in it is so poor that the ice melts very quickly. I was in our local Mitre 10 the other day when I heard a salesman telling a prospective purchaser about the thermoelectric wine fridge they had for sale: "It won't cool the wine, but it will keep it cool for some time if you chill it first in a fridge".I couldn't agree more with Roachie - tell her to spend the extra money and get a real fridge!!! If she is fair dinkum about travelling around Australia, the cost of a decent fridge and battery pack will be insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

teege
FollowupID: 610148

Reply By: psproule - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:08

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:08
Ditto. Another strong recommendation against. A thermoelectric fridge will not do what she wants and will, IMHO, guarantee battery problems during the trip. They draw a lot of current and are not particularly effective.
AnswerID: 342455

Reply By: Member - Porl - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:37

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:37
My opinion, if you stick the thermo fridge connection in the factory outlet it won't work after a few weeks (buggered my prado connection and it was a compressor fridge), both i think (and my brother has an X Trail) will flatten the battery close to overnight in warm humid environments. To be honest a good esky with well frozen ice will be better overnight in the NT durinng winter. She will probably never be more than 2 days from ice and a good small esky in an air conditioned X Trail during the day will keep ice cold for more than a couple days. However, if she wants to drink a few every night then go a compressor and a second battery is my opinion. Not necessarily installed under the bonnet, perhaps something chargeable while she is driving. Everything is possible, depends what you're doing.
AnswerID: 342474

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:40

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:40
Mind you, i have been all the way round australia and on 2 wheels (motorbike, not bicycle), and I never even took an esky, amazing what you can get by with using bread, jam, and peanut butter, and for the night stops, red wine ... i ate a lot of (relatively) fresh fruit and vegetables, better for you anyhow.
FollowupID: 610155

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:29

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:29
For wiring u can buy a Waeco Raps12 which has two sockets and 7 meters of the correct size wire Autobarn have some for$89 at the moment It also has a switch that allows you to run it all the time or just when the ignition is on.
The standard vehicle sockets have wiring which is far too light as per the Prado post. Only good for running lights etc.

Get an AGM(and only a sealed) battery in the rear and the correct wiring etc and a good fridge and all will be well
AnswerID: 342482

Reply By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:55

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:55
As others have said, sell the "thermoelectric fridge" get a compressor fridge, because as others have also said, she will never keep the power up to the thermoelectric fridge full time from a Cranking battery, maybe ok for a few days, then one day she goes to start and it's DEAD, she's parked in the bush and can't start the car, who will she blame ?

I would not even consider using the vehicle's Cranking battery to power ANY fridge full time, they are not made to do the job.

Put an AGM DC battery it in a plastic battery box, fit a battery isolator and an auto cut-out device and she will then have no power problems.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 342490

Sponsored Links